Portfolios sent in as part of sample, should I be worried?

opus92fan

My math IA's were sent in as part of my school's sample and I am actually quite nervous. I stated all of my sources and did my best not to plagiarise. However, I'm still worried that IBO will find something that wasn't intended to be plagiarism and I'll get in trouble for it. I used the posts on this website as guidance to assist me with the task, but I went through and calculated everything myself. I didn't copy and paste someone else's calculations. I cited IB survival in my works cited as well, I hope IB doesn't penalise me for that because if IBO goes on here and finds something in the thread about Lacsap's Fractions or Gold Medal Heights that shouldn't be there (ie. the general statement, functions, etc.) and hasn't been deleted yet, I would get in trouble.

Also, my teacher gave me 32/40 (17 on type I, 15 on type II). How could that change when IBO reads it? Am I still eligible for a 7 or should I give up on that?

Anyway, am I worrying about nothing or will everything be fine as long as I cited all my sources?

My Maths portfolio was sent for moderation (together with the IAs of all the rest 5 subjects). My teacher wrote me 35/40. For my Lacsap's fractions task, I also consulted IBS (asked several questions concerning the method of finding GS, etc.) However, I think that there are limited ways to solve that problem (well, some 10 000 candidates cannot find 10 000 approaches to the same maths problem which has a unique solution, can they?), so it is obvious that some candidates will have used pretty much the same method, and it will not be a plagiarism. Also, as long as you explained everything (e.g. your approach to the GS), you have an evidence that you did that task by yourself. Otherwise, you would not be able to show logical and coherent solution!

I think you should stop worrying.

Good luck with your exams :)

• Like 1

Okay, I'll stop worrying. The university I'm going to offers nice scholarships for each IB class depending on the grade, and I want to try get as many scholarships as I can. I do have other opportunities to receive scholarships and have already received scholarships so it's not the end of the world if I don't get a 7 in math.