OSC Pre-IB Summer Programme?

Knox

As you all know, the summer holiday is approaching soon, and I was wondering if I it would be worth spending 2-3 weeks doing the Pre-IB programme offered by OSC.

To anyone who has been to the programme, does it help, and is it worth the money?

I've read a fourm saying that the Pre-IB course is useless, because it just tells you what the IB is (Groups, TOK topics, CAS, and the general stuff), which to be honest, anyone who is signing themselves up for the IB the coming year should already know about by now... However, they say that the Mid-IB programme is much more useful and focused.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts about it. Thanks!

I wouldn't waste your money. I've heard the same - that the Pre-IB is useless. Instead, try and get ahead on some of the work that you'll be doing. However, I'd recommend relaxing, taking a break, chilling with friends. You won't have all that much time in the next two years, so have as much fun as you can now!

• Like 1

I haven't been there, but for the best of my knowledge, it's not really worth it. I was looking it up and it costs quite a lot of money and basically, if you're pretty good student, you don't need much preparation. Even though it look quite useful and fun, it's not worth THAT KIND OF MONEY. Buy your GDC in time and learn to use it, choose your subjects wisely(according to what you want to study further), if you really suck at some subect you'll take - hire a tutor during the summer, read about IB in general in the Internet(come to IBS if you have any questions) and talk with IB students in your school. In my humble opinion, that's all the preparation you need. You can spend those £3720(at least) for something better.

• Like 1

From what I have heard, they are not useful.

However, if you still want to be productive over the summer, I would suggest getting ahead in any of the classes you have enrolled in for the upcoming year. For example, start reading a book that you will be analysing in a language class of IB1, or if you are taking an experimental science class (or pretty much any class) look up notes that correspond to the actual IB curriculum of the program.

But honestly I would do a mix of both: enjoying the remaining "free time" before the real studies begin and some extra studying (say 2-3 weeks before going to school, that way you won't forget right away what you have learned during your self study).