What's your opinion on abortion?

Jasmeena

Abortion is a basic human right.

There still should be a time after which you would have to carry on with it as the embryo becomes developed enough, but I'm not exactly sure how many months that should be.

Agreed,people should have their freedom to choose whatever they think is better, but the option to abort could not be at any time in this 9 months of pregnancy, because after some months of pregnancy the embryo stops being just a bunch of cells and start being a formed human being, that shouldn't be killed.

Edited by Angelino Dantas
  • Like 1

it is a difficult debate. What are people's thoughts on the idea that abortions remove the responsibility of being sexually active and cheapen the meaning of it? As with abortion it is easy to avoid the consequence of having a child. Without it, perhaps people would think twice.

Having an abortion is an extremely traumatic procedure. You might be avoiding the consequences of having a child but you're not avoiding the consequences of abortion. The main way to avoid trauma of all sorts is to use a condom, the contraceptive pill, or both.

As has been said, historically pre-abortion being legalised, it used to occur in back alleys in illegal clinics where it was performed poorly by non-professionals and many woman died from the consequences of abortion, usually from bleeding and tears. So without it people don't think twice, they just find themselves caught between a rock and a hard place when they realise they are pregnant and either driven to attempt it illegally (with the correspondingly high mortality and morbidity rates) or have a child which they did not want, cannot necessarily care for and may well dump into the care system.

Cheapening the meaning of being sexually active depends entirely on who you are. For some people perhaps sex just means = baby. For other people it doesn't. I'd say most people having sex are not doing so in order to have a baby; that is not the meaning. So I don't really think there's much there to cheapen. Besides, some of the most 'meaning-less' sexual activity, for instance prostitution, occurs using condoms rather than resulting in abortions. Meaning and abortion are not really relevant to each other. You can even have sex which has a lot of meaning to you and isn't cheap at all but you never intended a child to pop out at the end.

• Like 1

Well in that case, I'm not sure what to tell them, they knew the risks, they should have been ready for them. This is obviously not the case most of the time. ( sorry, trying to plays the devil advocate here)

Something interesting I cam across today was a law that was used to both defend abortion, and to fight it in a legal battle. Not sure which state...

Anyway, its the 'right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." For defending abortion it was argued it was the mothers right, as the pregnancy affected her life and the baby is inside her body, that it was her right to choose to abort it or not. the opposing side used the same law to defend the fetus, in saying it is the right of the fetus to given the right of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. All in all just a neat example, regarding the topic.

Well in that case, I'm not sure what to tell them, they knew the risks, they should have been ready for them. This is obviously not the case most of the time.

Well, yes. But contraception doesn't always work. My mother for example had me whilst on the pill and used a condom and my sister whilst on the contraceptive coil.

Abortion should be allowed due to the fact that in most areas abortion is allowed up to the stage when it's still a bundle of cells. Scratch the side of your cheek, oh wow, you just removed some of the cells from your cheek which at this stage is bout the same thing.

Also, (In he UK anyway) we'e having a crisis in that to many children are not being adopted anyway.

Well in that case, I'm not sure what to tell them, they knew the risks, they should have been ready for them. This is obviously not the case most of the time. ( sorry, trying to plays the devil advocate here)

Something interesting I cam across today was a law that was used to both defend abortion, and to fight it in a legal battle. Not sure which state...

Anyway, its the 'right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." For defending abortion it was argued it was the mothers right, as the pregnancy affected her life and the baby is inside her body, that it was her right to choose to abort it or not. the opposing side used the same law to defend the fetus, in saying it is the right of the fetus to given the right of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. All in all just a neat example, regarding the topic.

In the UK the law regarding abortion hinges on harm to the mother. As pregnancy is default a state of greater harm and risk to the mother than not being pregnant, given that it carries a weight of disease and mortality, technically this means all abortions may be upheld. Personally I think this is much better than "life, liberty, happiness" which are admirable things but abstract relative to the concreteness of physical harm. As for your first statement, playing devil's advocate by saying "well it's their fault" is not only massively missing the point, but it's also so unsupported by actual arguments (random assignation of blame isn't really an argument) that I don't feel it adds anything to the discussion. There's the traditional answers of 'what about people who are raped?' and 'what about people who've discovered the foetus has a serious genetic abnormality?' but I don't really find those answers satisfactory either because it suggests that people who've not been raped and who don't have abnormal foetuses somehow became pregnant on purpose or don't deserve access to abortion. Nobody who aborts their baby intended to have and keep that baby, and none of them intended to become pregnant with that baby. So why punish them by ruining their lives, ruining the life potentially of the father and depending on how well the mother is prepared to cope with it, often making miserable the life of the child.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting point I read about in the book Freakonomics discussed a long-term benefit of allowing abortion: lowering the crime rate. It's not an ethical argument, but more of an economic one.

From what I remember, the crime rate in New York City (or maybe the whole United States) drastically reduced 15-20 years after Roe v. Wade (the case that legalized abortion). The book follows the logic that the most significant demographic that wants abortions is usually teen mothers who live in unsafe communities where they are easily exploited. Many of these blue-collar criminals come from such societies, often being raised by a single mother. Allowing these unplanned births to decrease reduces the crime rate down the road.

Now I'm sure this is a super controversial post. I'm not saying that single mothers always give birth to criminals or trying to stereotype here, but I read this argument in Freakonomics and it made logical sense to me.

Wow- always thought that it was wrong, but after going through all the different views here, makes me think. One reason I was always against abortion was because I felt that the parents needed to take responsibility of the consequences of their decision. Especially today, in an age, where young teenagers are also, well, "doing it", we can't just let the people responsible slide by and give them a free pass. They need to understand the consequences and act responsibly.

• 7 years later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/10/2012 at 1:29 AM, Jasmeena said:

The title says it all. What's your opinion on abortion?

We've been discussing that topic on our TOK class for about two months and we can't seem to finish this debate. The thing is, that every time we start this topic, we end up in the wrong field - religion. I know there are religious aspects of this, but I really am interested in your opinion on this topic? I want to finish this debate with someone since none of my colleauges are willing to do so out of the class. :)

Not to get in too many details to soon, just to say that I think that abortion is, well, doable. I'm definitely not against it. My main point is that, when it comes to such an, well, unwanted consequence - the parents should be offered a way out. What's the point of having the baby if they won't love it, or don't know how to handle the baby, or won't give it up for adoption but leave it somewhere on the street to freeze to death? Or sth even worse. Or, what if the baby is sick, and they want to ease her pain? I know this sounds, not humane, but aren't the parents at least a bit able to decide on the behalf of their baby. If the baby is ill, she'll suffer, and by that, the parents will suffer too. None of the parents want to see their children unhappy, or, God forbid, ill. I know that by doing an abortion we are killing a living being, but the baby isn't still 'alive' - isn't aware of anything (the abortion within 28 weeks of the fetus's 'formation', after that not anymore ).

But on the other hand, who are we to decide for another human beeing? Are we, by doing that, playing God?

What's your opinion on this?

I'm absolutely for adoption (in my opinion, the fetus doesn't have any unique memories to make it a life) but I'm not sure about who out of the parents gets to decide to do it. Is it the woman who has the right? She has to grow the child inside of her. Or should the man have a say as well? The kid's half him, too. If it has to be agreed on by both parents, what about if the woman was raped, or she doesn't know who it belongs to or the father left?

Debate that.

• 2 months later...

Abortion is absolutely the choice of the parents. If a woman has been raped, it would almost be unfair for them to be forced to have a living reminder of a tragedy in their life. If you wanna keep it, keep it. If not, then don't. Some may know that they are unfit to support another life as they may be too young or financially unstable, they are saving some child from a world of misfortune.