Is it absolutely necessary that my ToK presentation is formal?

fatima.1207

Hi guys!

I'm in my first year of IB and I'm currently working on a mock ToK presentation. My title is 'can we derive knowledge from music?'. When I ran this past my ToK teacher, he thought it was good idea. However, he did point out to the whole class that we should try and make our presentations a little bit creative and not just 'stand at the front of room and read off a script'. I wanted to dress up and act as Johhny Rotten from the Sex Pistols and tell a story about how I (meaning Johnny Rotten) ended in a pub brawl with a univeristy student whilst arguing about whether knowledge can be derived from music. It sounds ridiculous, but I had worked out a way to explain both sides of the argument and use the appropriate ToK language when necessary without making the presentation seem unrealistic. However at the same time, I still need to include informal language in order to be a convincing Johhny Rotten. My teacher, on the other hand says informal language will 'detract from what is required.'I have a structured argument, but no interesting delivery style and I really feel this roleplay will give me an edge.

Help!!!!!! Does it really need to be formal? And if it does, is there anyway I can still include this roleplay?

My teach strongly recomends something unusual, and he mentioned (several times) that we can do a roleplay, or anything we like. Anything that will improve the way we present an idea, or so.

PS. I really really really LOVE your idea to dress up as Johnny Rotten :)! And I think it could end up beeing amazing! Good luck ;)

Edited by Summer Glau
please don't use text speak
  • Like 1

No problem. Just saying what my teach told me :). It won't hurt anybody if you do it ;), good luck, as I said!

If it helps. I believe my friends have done an presentation, well it wasn't a presentation... it was a... roleplay where they discussed the topic: designer babies. One of them was attorney and the other one was normal, ordinary person. And they discussed - presented - their ideas about designer babies, from different points of view different ideas. It was amazing! My teach predicted them a 7 :)

• Like 1

Your presentation doesn't need to be super formal, as long as you can convey your ideas coherently. :) The other day, my TOK teacher showed as a TOK presentation that only lost 1 mark (out of 20), and it was solely based around role play.

But don't forget, it's not your acting that is being assessed, so focus more on the actual content. Good luck!