University search

Beni

19 members have voted

1. 1. When did you have a clear list of your possible universities?

• Before the IBDP
    • IB1 semester 1
    • IB1 semester 2
    • IB2 semester 1
    • Just before or after exam period
    • None of the above (gap year, etc.)

Today I was wondering when I should actually start looking for suitable universities. I know the deadlines for applications varies from country to country and even then some unis have a different schedule. But what would be a good time to have a clear list of possible candidates?

Or maybe easier, when did you start seriously looking for universities?

I am currently towards the end of IB1 and to be honest I couldn't name a university I could see myself at in 18 months.

I started seriously looking at universities in IB1, and finally narrowed down my uni choices in December 2011, so near the end of the first semester of IB2. It's a good idea to start looking into universities in IB1. Browse their websites for the programs you're interested in, look at the requirements so you know what grades to aim for, get opinions from people who went to the uni if you know anyone, etc. What I did is I grabbed every single uni handbook I could get my hands on, flipped through the unis I was mildly interested in and actually read through the ones I was very interested in. I was basically a human sponge for quite some time XD

In the middle of 1st semester of IB2 I knew what my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices were...however for some reason it look me forever to pick a 4th choice! The deadline to apply for uni where I live was in January 2012 and I finished my application in December 2011.

So I would say that you should definitely start looking now! Start by determining what kind of program you want to go into, then start looking online. Do you have a program/field in mind?

For the UK, if you want to apply for Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science or to Oxford/Cambridge, you need to have decided really around the beginning of IB2 so you can apply by October. Otherwise you have until January of IB2 to apply :)

So yeah, if you're thinking of coming to the UK it's October or January that there are deadlines. I started looking around the end of IB1 (...ordering prospectuses...) and didn't really have a clue despite attempting to research it all until around the beginning of IB2 when time kinda forced me to pick some.

In the UK it's perhaps a little easier because you can use the type of course and the entry requirements they ask for to help you make your decision.

I'm pretty set on engineering, although not quite sure what field exactly, and I know pretty much every universities requires a 6 in both Maths and Physics HL.

However, I am not sure if I will be able to secure that grade in maths and so I don't want to just look at unis with those expectations.

That makes it difficult to find places since I don't know what else I could do with my subjects.