Teachers snapping / acting VERY different

funny10sport

Okay so today our biology teacher snapped (an expression meaning he got angry and started acting strict and somewhat irrational) because somme students complained to the head office that his teaching methods were hindering our overall learning.

For example: he would often take 30 min to start the class, wasting time; usually stop in the middle of a class to comment on something random and we would get off topic, or randomly stop teaching all together if people were talking etc. Nothing too too bad but if you add up all that time wasted, it does accumulate to couple of hours...

So he got mad that some students reported him and instead of taking it as constructive criticism, he snapped and as consequence...

- All our material/ online notes are taken down/deleted (usually we would print and write on our online notes during his class).

-Gave us a huge lab report that is due tomorrow

-Daily pop quizes which do count for our grade

-If we are late, he will keep us out of the class until he sees fit

-If we miss one day he will not re-explain

Can they do that?

Has anyone ever had a teacher act abruptly different or SNAPPED for something such as this?

Complain again :) that's very childish of him.

Maybe it's because some a lot of the year above are preparing for their exams so he's stressed. But that doesn't excuse him from acting like a deluded cow with no friends.

My teacher towards the end of my GCSEs evolved into a moody dog and it was quite annoying. Thankfully it was towards the end so I didn't feel the need to complain.

Well I suggest you re-complain to the head of department/head of year/whoever you complained to the first time and explain that your learning is being further hindered. Clearly the original complaint was acted on, so it's likely that the second will be too. It's a highly immature reaction of your teacher you remove all the notes you guys are using, although not really out of order to do the other things, which I don't think you should complain about. He's well within his rights to give you tests, work and punish you for being late (as well as not having to help you play catch-up - certainly I've never had a teacher re-explain if I missed something, it's my problem to catch up as I was the one not in attendance) - in fact all of those things may help you learn. So it would invalidate your complaint that he's obstructing your learning if you put up a fuss about those things.

Removing your notes on purpose is certainly a valid complaint, however.

When my teachers snapped they tended to have nervous breakdowns and start weeping everywhere, so I can't really commiserate.

• Like 2

My Maths teacher.... We've raised issues about her constantly.

She's a lovely person, and I'm sure she's very good at Maths, and apparently studied the IB herself, but she cannot teach her way out of a paper bag.

She's shouted at us because we've complained about her to our 6th form coordinator and head teacher. The other group were given a new teacher when everyone complained, when all of us complained, over and over again, nothing happens and were told to do more independent study... I also had 48 hours to redo my entire Maths project because, 2 months after i told my teacher what my project was and explained it to her, it was completely wrong.... At least pendulums and a little help from a physics teacher got me 12/20

Guest Positron

Well I suggest you re-complain to the head of department/head of year/whoever you complained to the first time and explain that your learning is being further hindered. Clearly the original complaint was acted on, so it's likely that the second will be too. It's a highly immature reaction of your teacher you remove all the notes you guys are using, although not really out of order to do the other things, which I don't think you should complain about. He's well within his rights to give you tests, work and punish you for being late (as well as not having to help you play catch-up - certainly I've never had a teacher re-explain if I missed something, it's my problem to catch up as I was the one not in attendance) - in fact all of those things may help you learn. So it would invalidate your complaint that he's obstructing your learning if you put up a fuss about those things.

When my teachers snapped they tended to have nervous breakdowns and start weeping everywhere, so I can't really commiserate.

To a certain degree I agree with you, the teacher has the right to do most of the things mentioned by OP. But I think it's pretty clear that he's using those as a way to punish students for (rightfully) complaining about him. How can he be allowed to punish students for something that wasn't wrong? And anyways his job is to help his students learn, not to take personal grudges and intentionally try to hinder his students' learning.

Edited by Positron

To a certain degree I agree with you, the teacher has the right to do most of the things mentioned by OP. But I think it's pretty clear that he's using them as a way to punish students for (rightfully) complaining about him. How can he be allowed to punish students for something that wasn't wrong? And anyways his job is to help his students learn, not to take personal grudges and intentionally trying to hinder his students' learning.

I agree.

But we've been complaining for over a year now, and nothing's been done and now we only have a week and a half before we go on study leave, it's too late for us, if we get bad grades, sure it's us too, but how can we do anywhere near our best when we have a Maths teacher who wishes to talk about her holiday or how to lose weight rather than teach us calculus??

In my opinion, this teacher is doing what he is supposed to. The vast majority of my IB teachers are like this normally. He may be a little hurt that you complained about him, so maybe he is angry, but he is actually behaving like a real teacher at this point. Maybe you'll actually learn something like this. On the other hand, he may be trying to be a better teacher and he might see fit to do so by becoming more strict. Best of luck!

In my opinion, this teacher is doing what he is supposed to. The vast majority of my IB teachers are like this normally. He may be a little hurt that you complained about him, so maybe he is angry, but he is actually behaving like a real teacher at this point. Maybe you'll actually learn something like this. On the other hand, he may be trying to be a better teacher and he might see fit to do so by becoming more strict. Best of luck!

What? Did you read the OP? The teacher took all this guy's class's notes away from them, which is simply wrong.

To a certain degree I agree with you, the teacher has the right to do most of the things mentioned by OP. But I think it's pretty clear that he's using those as a way to punish students for (rightfully) complaining about him. How can he be allowed to punish students for something that wasn't wrong? And anyways his job is to help his students learn, not to take personal grudges and intentionally try to hinder his students' learning.

This is exactly what I think. But I do agree that with his new methods there are also some benefits. The quizes for eample will help me concentrate more and memorize which is important for Biology. Its just a very different personality he has now, which is hard for us to adapt to.

What? Did you read the OP? The teacher took all this guy's class's notes away from them, which is simply wrong.

Yes he did take our notes away which really sucks. But hopefully he will change his mind, my Biology grade is depending on it!

P.S. I'm a girl not a guy haha :P

Thanks everyone for your imput!

I disagree with the majority of people, don't go complaining to the head-whatever, tell the teacher directly. He is a human being, act as if he is one. If you have 'constructive criticism' to share with him, share it directly. Going to his superiors about it is a waste of time for everybody, and isn't nice for the teacher. Tell him he is acting differently, challenge him on it. Tell him to give back the notes, and ask for his reasons for taking them from you. There is no benefit to anyone by his keeping of the notes, so I'm guessing he'll just put them back once he's calmed down.

There's no reason to go complain behind his back when you can talk to him directly.

• Like 2

I disagree with the majority of people, don't go complaining to the head-whatever, tell the teacher directly. He is a human being, act as if he is one. If you have 'constructive criticism' to share with him, share it directly. Going to his superiors about it is a waste of time for everybody, and isn't nice for the teacher. Tell him he is acting differently, challenge him on it. Tell him to give back the notes, and ask for his reasons for taking them from you. There is no benefit to anyone by his keeping of the notes, so I'm guessing he'll just put them back once he's calmed down.

There's no reason to go complain behind his back when you can talk to him directly.

I see your point. Well that has already been done the first time. And because people complained, he started acting like this.

And now that he has changed his teaching methods we do tell him that he is acting very differently but he does not care anymore. Like you say, he is a human being but as a TEACHER, I don't think he should be acting irrational as for taking our notes away. He should be trying to help us achieve and pass our Biology class, not make it very difficult. Probably he will give them back in the future, but at the moment, I go to my Biology class with no notes.