IB skills

Crazy Gemini

I seem to have developed an ability to BS a lot since starting the IB, especially from filling out CAS proposal forms etc.

I was just wondering if it was just me and the students in my 6th form, because we all have developed this skill of big time bs, or if this is a common skill development that we are taught through ToK, CAS and various other ways?

Same! It's crazy, you'd think these subjects would teach you something important, but no, the most valuable life lesson i will be graduating with is an amazing ability to bs and lie. Even in philosophy I've learnt how to avoid answering a difficult question, so I guess the only job prospect I'll have is a politician -.-"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have developed an ability to BS a lot since starting the IB, especially from filling out CAS proposal forms etc.

I was just wondering if it was just me and the students in my 6th form, because we all have developed this skill of big time bs, or if this is a common skill development that we are taught through ToK, CAS and various other ways?

I agree SOOOO much.. It's actually really useful. However I really don't think many IB students actually have this skill, most of them are learning it in baby steps though. I think it's a really vital skill to have, and it will help us a lot in the future haha.

Same! It's crazy, you'd think these subjects would teach you something important, but no, the most valuable life lesson i will be graduating with is an amazing ability to bs and lie. Even in philosophy I've learnt how to avoid answering a difficult question, so I guess the only job prospect I'll have is a politician -.-"

Ohhhh I agree 100% with you! Learning how avoid answering difficult questions.. it's something I have always wanted to master, and I feel like I'm getting closer by the minute. It's SUCH a good character trait to have, especially concerning social situations. Also I really dislike being around people who are tactless in social situations, it's so awkward and embarrassing, it literally makes me want to die. I think knowing how to act in social situations is also something you ''kind of'' learn through IB, but still the amount of isolation each individual has to go through (via studying for hours every day) really hinders any progress people have made.

Oh definitely, I didn't have much social tact before I began the IB, and I have even less now that I'm near the finish. But I can say that my social tact (or lack thereof) won me the most wonderful guy in the world. I managed to chat him up by saying "we could be a perfect couple, we really could" as we were sat on the stairs at a mutual friends birthday party.

BS, I have worked out, is one of the IBs most vital skills to teach us, it is the reason we do CAS. I had this epiphany this morning when I won a CAS award for having written one of the best evaluations.

It's not always good to step around the difficult question though, I want to be a journalist and I will push for answers to difficult questions. At the moment I'm trying to push pierce Morgan for an answer as to why he lied during the leveson inquiry when he was called for questioning. This is through twitter though and he is ignoring me a fair bit :) but being able to BS your way through awkward moments in society (or interviews - I hardly ever prepare much for interviews, I bs through them) is always a good skill to have. Although, its ana amazing feeling when you show your ToK essay on language (and essentially linguistics) to you linguistics-geek boyfriend who wants to go to Oxford and tell him that your essay (which we can all agree the majority of ToK is bs) and that this Oxford lingustics professor loved your essay (yes I'm a huge show off)