Engineering Subject Choices

Guest invent.horizon

Guest invent.horizon

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in school about to take my GCSE's and we're beginning to finalize our subject choices for the IB starting next year. I'm very keen on studying mechanical engineering in the UK, however I've read numerous times that both Maths HL and Physics HL are almost requirements. I've heard from both the teachers at my school and people online that Maths HL is very difficult and I am trying to avoid taking it if it means I can still study in the UK. The ideal university I'd like to study at is the University of Surrey.

I am considering:

Physics HL

Eng HL

Business HL

Music SL

Spanish Ab In

Maths SL

But I'd like to hear what everyone thinks on changing either English or Business to SL and taking Maths HL instead.

Guest invent.horizon

Thanks for the input guys, another option I have is taking 4 HL's (Physics, Maths, English and Business), seeing whether or not I can handle Maths HL and then dropping one of my subjects down to SL after the first few weeks.

Although Maths HL could be considered "difficult" by some, your university course in mechanical engineering will include quite a lot of applied maths. In fact, you have to have quite a liking for maths to enjoy university studies in any branch of engineering. So even if you were able to get university entrance with Maths SL, you would be well advised to take it at HL to avoid having to do extra work to catch up later.

If your coordinator allows it, starting out with 4 HLs would be a good policy. But for mechanical engineering I would definitely recommend keeping physics and maths at HL, and dropping one of the other subjects to SL if you find the workload too great.

Definitely keep Physics and Math HL.

And it would be a pretty good idea to keep chem at SL if not HL as most of the potential engineers at my school have PCM HL.

UK can view bussiness as a weak option, so you may want to take economics instead. Infact,my school discourages people considering the UK from doing bussiness management!

• Like 1

Definitely keep Physics and Math HL.

And it would be a pretty good idea to keep chem at SL if not HL as most of the potential engineers at my school have PCM HL.

UK can view bussiness as a weak option, so you may want to take economics instead. Infact,my school discourages people considering the UK from doing bussiness management!

Completely agree with this. If math and physics are offered at HL at your school, definitely take both. Don't avoid taking them just because they're hard because honestly, engineering isn't a walk in the park either. I think it makes more sense to take two sciences rather than one science and music if engineering is your goal; plus chemistry SL is easy because it leaves out a lot of the math and hard concepts that HL includes. SL is a veeerrry watered-down, simplified version of HL, basically!

I've also heard the UK sees business&management as a soft subject, and economics HL is a good alternative. Economics HL is one of the easier HL subjects (one reason why it's a popular choice in my school) and it has a better 'reputation'.

• 2 weeks later...

Engineering in Canada requires math, physics, and chemistry all HL!

I think you shouldn't take music and take chemistry instead. I have so many talented musician friends who want to become medics, so they had to ignore their passion. You will regret it so much if you end up not getting to a very good program cause you took music instead of chemistry.

Although might sound manageable, but math, physics, and chemistry HL will make your life a living hell! The coursework is so much more (for chemistry it's almost double the material) and everything is just harder.

I used to take math HL and chem HL but dropped both to SL early in my ib program! I wanted to live a multi-dimension highschool life!! But if that's what you want to do, then go do it!

I agree with all the above concerning Econ over Business! I chose Business cause I want to study Commerce and I'd like to transfer some credits and skips a semester or two but if that wasn't the case I'd totally go for Econ HL since it looks better.