English A2, First examinations 2013 - Written assignment

"It's a task of creative writing of 500–600 words plus a 150-word rationale, based on one of the literary texts read."

It doesn't say anywhere specific but... What text types are allowed

Are there any other except those? ---> article, blog, diary entry, brochure, leaflet, flyer, pamphlet, advertisement, interview (direct, reported), introduction to debate, speech, talk, presentation, news report, official report, proposal, review, set of instructions, guidelines, written correspondence.

Written Assignments (or Written Tasks) are creative pieces, so you are free to choose what text type/format to write in. (The SL class might not have that same choice because of the limited amount of class time, which happened at my school). However, bear in mind that you need to pick a format that best shows your understanding of the text you are adapting from - you are specifically asking about the Literature Written Task 1, so a advertisement about the setting of Perfume may not show a deep enough understanding of the Gothic.

One example of a Lit Written Task I've done is write an autobiography from the point of view of a character in one of The Bloody Chamber stories, and using this I used a lot of symbolism of the gothic and feminism to show my understanding.

Just be careful in picking a specific format for Written Assignments! You don't want to be stressing over the actual format before you actually get round to writing the piece. :)

*P.S: I think you mean English Language & Literature; English A2 I believe don't exist from examinations in 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

I have based my written task on George Orwell's The Old Man and the Sea, writing a diary entry from the perspective of Manolin-his feelings when Santiago doesn't return on the second day.

Since, you are asking only about the literary texts, I think it's better if you write a blog,article,diary entry as one of the characters or even create your own story based on some of the features you have chosen. Moreover, being creative piece, you can also change the ending of the literary text, or add more to the plot.

Hope this helps!

Happy writing ^_^

I have based my written task on George Orwell's The Old Man and the Sea, writing a diary entry from the perspective of Manolin-his feelings when Santiago doesn't return on the second day.

Since, you are asking only about the literary texts, I think it's better if you write a blog,article,diary entry as one of the characters or even create your own story based on some of the features you have chosen. Moreover, being creative piece, you can also change the ending of the literary text, or add more to the plot.

Hope this helps!

Happy writing ^_^

But creativity has its limits, I'm afraid. Our English A2 teacher told us when we were doing the written tasks that whatever we do, we have to stay true to the literary works we decide to use. What this means is that if you are for example changing the ending of a novel, you must try to imitate the style of its author. Also, the changed ending must fit well to the novel and somehow show your understanding of the work. This is why the rationale is extremely important; it's your chance to explain what you've done and let the marker know that you have for instance used the same kind of sentence structures as the author on purpose.

I did one of mine on Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, wrote the character Jay Gatsby's diary entries before and after reconnecting with Daisy Buchanan. I tried to show how the events that took place affected his feelings and tone, as well as imitated his flamboyant way of speaking.