Appliying to university in IRELAND

Jasmeena

Does anyone know if there's a web-page (sth like UCAS) for applying to universities in the Republic of Ireland? :) Thanks.

A woman after my own heart, I applied there.

You need to apply through the central applications office: www.cao.ie

You have to pay for the application up front, I paid 30 euros in November. The application process usually begins in November, I don't know when they open for 2013 applications, but keep an eye on the site. All you do is fill in your details and add your courses and send in your grades, and once you have your IB grades send those in too, and then sit back and relax until mid-August, when they send out offers.

Good luck :)

Edited by Crazy Gemini
  • Like 2

Thank you so so so so so muuuch! :)) And to how many universities can I apply? :D

I think you have 8-10 choices for each level, so level 6 courses are more like college level courses, but you will want to apply to level 8 courses which are Bsc courses.

I learnt this through a lot of research and things really aren't clear on many websites, even the cao handbook confused me

• Like 1

Ummm, you got me here. I'm confused :D

After finishing IB2, I need to apply to level 8 courses right? XD Sorry, I'm not really into this system, we have it different here in Croatia :)

PS. How many universities can I apply to in the UK? I see that you're from there and I haven't found anything about that... Sorry for bugging you btw.

Don't worry about bugging me... That's what older students are here for :)

Yes, you will apply for a level 8 course.

Here in the uk, you apply through UCAS. www.ucas.com

And you can only apply to 5 courses but they have to be very similar for when you write your personal statement, all my choices have philosophy in common, my final two choices are philosophy and politics and philosophy and philosophy and creative writing - so in my personal statement, I could write about my love for philosophy (I am very geeky).

I hope that makes some sort of sense.

I want to study architecture, so they'll all be architecture, :)... and yeaah, how come in Ireland you can apply to 8-10, and in UK to 5 courses? XD

Aww that really does sound amazing! I would so go with your last choice - creative writing sounds... I love it! :)

It does, it really does. Thank you so much, once again.

Btw. Do you know anything about student loans? Does anyone get them? I'm an EU student btw :)

Well, you should be able to get them in Croatia as a student studying abroad. Otherwise, if you have to get student finance here in the uk you can go to www.directgov.org.uk/studentfinance

Hehe, creative writing is good, but I really wouldn't recommend coming to uni here in the uk because our tuition fees have just been raised from £3000 per year to £9000 per year, and it's even more for students who are not from the uk (have lived in the uk for at least 3 years before applying to university)

Also if you want to apply here, make sure you check out the universities and the locations etc, because not all universities have all courses (may be pointing out something obvious there), and not all universities are to everyone's taste. Personally I love Newcastle university (I also support Newcastle FC, to my boyfriend's dismay), Im hoping to go to either the university of central Lancashire, or the university of Staffordshire, but I don't like Manchester metropolitan university or roehampton university.

But think about if you want to live in a big city or a smaller town. I'm looking to get out of London, to live in a smaller town, it's cheaper. London is very expensive to live in.

• Like 1

Nope, Croatia literally doesn't give ANY finance to prospective students studying abroad but I heard that as an EU or UK student you can get a student loan, that everyone gets it - it covers the tuition fees - I just wasn't sure whether is possible :D.

Thaanks ;). And when should I apply for a loan? I mean, in advance, or when the school year starts? Do you know anything?

I knoooow they're expensive but I can't even explain to you my attraction to Cambridge, UCL, and generally the United Kingdom. It's just. I've been wanting to study there since I... well, since I know of it's existence. I don't know why (considering the fact I've never ever ever been there)... I just can't explain it. But it's strooooong. The wish is so strong. Really strong.

I know, I've already made myself an university booklet (well, an encyclopedia to be precise) with about 200 pages all about entry requirements and diff. universities all around the UK and Ireland I want to go to :). I haven't really considered the location, where do I want to live, and I knooow London is really expensive - especially for foreigners, but... What do you recommend? For ex. I would like to study architecture in Cambridge, UCL, Edinburgh, Glasgow or Newcastle... Where to stay at? :D. Good luck with your universities ;)))!!!!

PS. Why don't you like Manchester? I have them on my list :D

When you should apply for student loan, by may 31st of the year you will go to university. so if I'm going to university in September 2012, I will need to apply for student finance before may 31st of this year.

I wanted to study the IB so that I could get into Cambridge, however, entry requirements there are very high, they wanted 36+ for philosophy.

Haha seems like you're attracted to england like I'm attracted to Ireland. :D it's an unexplainable attraction, I know.

I hope you get into Cambridge though, good luck, you'll need it, I have heard stories of people having 12/13 A-levels, and still not being able to get into Cambridge. And my boyfriend, incredibly clever boy, was rejected from oxford. It's a very competitive market for university here.

And I'll get it, right? Or? XD

I know. I'm in the IB for the EXACT SAME REASON. btw. they want 40+ for architecture.

Exactly!! I just sooo sooo sooo love it. I can't explain it why. :D

Thaaaanks, really thank you for everything! :). I know, my friend had 41 and she didn't get in. And then they asked 38+ or sth. But oh well, worth a try. I deff won't give up... :OO It really is.

Oh my 40+? Wow.

I'm sure you will get it, if you believe enough. I'm afraid I've been doing the IB so long now I'm too tired to be optimistic, but I'm sure you'll be able to get into a good university.

And don't worry, feel free to drop me a personal message, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can if you've got any more questions, I'll help you as much as I can :)

Yup. 40+. It says like 40-42, XD. Not like they don't accept anyone who has more :D

Woow, thanks. I don't know but I really am optimistic and I'll be sure to give my best and will see what happens :)

YOU ARE SOOO NICE!! Thank you really!!! ...helping a complete stranger... Thank you thank you :).

I'll get back to you if I encounter a problem. Especially since you live in the UK which is my targeted... TARGET XD

Haha, sure thing.

No you're not a completely complete stranger, you're a student in IB1 and I was there last year, the positive thinking, I remember it all, and I know what it's like to start looking at unis etc, so you're not a completely complete stranger.

And yeah, good luck, let me know how you get on :)

• Like 1

Ireland... I'm thinking of applying there too besides UK, but the information on the CAO website or even on unis websites are so unclear...I want to study Medicine but for now CAO is like a complete mystery for me...

Can you explain it a little bit? Like in general, from the beginning...

I'll really REALLY appreciate it :)

I'm also around for any info on the Irish system if people want it - I've grown up with it so I'm pretty familiar with the ins and outs of the system.

Ireland... I'm thinking of applying there too besides UK, but the information on the CAO website or even on unis websites are so unclear...I want to study Medicine but for now CAO is like a complete mystery for me...

I'll really REALLY appreciate it smile.png

Applying for medicine is a little bit more complicated than any other courses. You'll still be applying through the CAO website and you'll still be able to list up to 10 level 8 courses that you want to take. However, like the UK, we have an aptitude test called the HPAT. Registration for it will open in November and I believe is done online (I haven't applied for medicine so I'm not too sure of the little details).

You take the HPAT around February and results will be out at the end of April and will be sent to the CAO. It's scored out of 300. Then you have to organise to get your IB results sent to the CAO as well. There's some calculation between the HPAT and your exam results to give you your CAO points that will determine whether you're eligible for the course. I don't know how much you know about CAO points, but the max you can get is 600, which equates to 42-45 IB points depending on your university. Some of them calculate it out of the 45 including bonus points, others just the 42. For medicine in Trinity College last year the minimum CAO points was 480, which is 36/45 IB points. Then they use a scaling system between your CAO points and your HPAT points to give you your overall result that will determine entry.

This booklet from Trinity College probably explains the whole system a lot better then I ever could, so I'd suggest giving it a read if you haven't already.

In terms of entry requirements, it does vary from college to college but looking at your subject choices you should be fine. OD3 means ordinary (standard level) D3 which is 40 - 44% so that and anything above it fulfils the requirement. A HC3 is 55 - 59% at higher level. Wikipedia has a handy chart if you're wondering about the grades. It also explains a little bit about the points system here.

I honestly don't know if you're able to take the HPAT outside of Ireland or if you have to take it at a testing centre here so I'd suggest contacting them as soon as possible about that. You can probably contact them about anything else you're confused about, although they might not get back to you very quickly since this year's results will be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

I hope that was at least somewhat helpful and makes a little sense. If there's anything else you're stuck on, you can certainly ask me smile.png Edited by Guest

The way I worked out the cao system was a through a lot of emailing the people who run the cao, even the responses were very ambiguous. It's a lot about looking at the options you have and going with your guy feeling.

All I did, essentially was, pay my 30 euros, fill in my details, add my courses.

I emailed the university I wanted to go to, to see if I had to sit the metriculation exam, but I got no good response there, so I decided not to apply to sit that. sent off my GCSE and AS grades along with my reference and personal statement.

I don't know how much help that is but I've only ever found the Swedish system comprehensible, maybe that's because I'm Swedish, I don't know, but its the one I understand best :)

• Like 1

I'm also around for any info on the Irish system if people want it - I've grown up with it so I'm pretty familiar with the ins and outs of the system.

I'll really REALLY appreciate it :)

Applying for medicine is a little bit more complicated than any other courses. You'll still be applying through the CAO website and you'll still be able to list up to 10 level 8 courses that you want to take. However, like the UK, we have an aptitude test called the HPAT. Registration for it will open in November and I believe is done online (I haven't applied for medicine so I'm not too sure of the little details).

You take the HPAT around February and results will be out at the end of April and will be sent to the CAO. It's scored out of 300. Then you have to organise to get your IB results sent to the CAO as well. There's some calculation between the HPAT and your exam results to give you your CAO points that will determine whether you're eligible for the course. I don't know how much you know about CAO points, but the max you can get is 600, which equates to 42-45 IB points depending on your university. Some of them calculate it out of the 45 including bonus points, others just the 42. For medicine in Trinity College last year the minimum CAO points was 480, which is 36/45 IB points. Then they use a scaling system between your CAO points and your HPAT points to give you your overall result that will determine entry.

This booklet from Trinity College probably explains the whole system a lot better then I ever could, so I'd suggest giving it a read if you haven't already.

In terms of entry requirements, it does vary from college to college but looking at your subject choices you should be fine. OD3 means ordinary (standard level) D3 which is 40 - 44% so that and anything above it fulfils the requirement. A HC3 is 55 - 59% at higher level. Wikapedia has a handy chart if you're wondering about the grades. It also explains a little bit about the points system here.

I honestly don't know if you're able to take the HPAT outside of Ireland or if you have to take it at a testing centre here so I'd suggest contacting them as soon as possible about that. You can probably contact them about anything else you're confused about, although they might not get back to you very quickly since this year's results will be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

I hope that was at least somewhat helpful and makes a little sense. If there's anything else you're stuck on, you can certainly ask me :)

It was, thanks a lot! :)