Philosophy - anyone?

Crazy Gemini

My class is doing Bertrand Russell's 'Problems of Philosophy'.

I have heard that it is possible to write paper 2 on the text from the list you haven't studied in class.

Do you know anything about it?

I was considering Plato's Republic or John Locke or Hannah Arendt.

Is it a good idea? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I guess you can yeah, but unless you have studied the text in a lot of detail I wouldn't recommend it. It would be really difficult, with the amount of detail you need to go into in paper 2 in you exploration and analysis, and especially this close to the exam you wouldn't have enough time to learn and understand everything in the texts you are considering. Personally, I think you should stick to the text you've studied in class, but the again, it's up to you.

You need to identify an argument, explain it, explore it and evaluate it. You don't need to write an argument using 2 theories...

It's worrying to see this many people unsure about the philosophy exams with just 4 days to go :/

I posted an essay that I got a 5 in for descartes at this link:

It shows you what you're meant to do, even if it's not one of my better essays

Edited by Crazy Gemini

You need to identify an argument, explain it, explore it and evaluate it. You don't need to write an argument using 2 theories...

It's worrying to see this many people unsure about the philosophy exams with just 4 days to go :/

I posted an essay that I got a 5 in for descartes at this link:

http://www.ibsurviva...hy-markschemes/

It shows you what you're meant to do, even if it's not one of my better essays

Thanks dude, this really helps. I feel im doomed though cuz I am still unsure of the writing. We haven't actually written a paper 2 essay yet :/ I take SL.. By evaluate, do you mean analyze or just simply express our opinion? And how much info do we need to know of the book?

You express your own opinion as well as analyse with ping-ponging of criticisms and countercriticisms etc. Wow, I feel terrified for you, weve done millions of essays from each of the papers. I'm doing HL.

You need to know the text inside out, to be able to quote it, and if you get a quote in the question you need to be able to know what the quote is referring to and where it is in the text.

Sorry if this scares you.

We're doing the Republic, it's frickin 10 books long. We were assigned to read parts of it only... :/ It would've been impossible to read the whole thing anyways. I know the big ideas of it and I understand what Plato is trying to get across and I know the analogies and such... I think I'll do ok, but who knows :/ The thing is we haven't actually written papers of the IB expcept in the midterm and the mocks :/ Could you give me advice on how to write awesome essays?