IB Japanese

dejojam

Hi,

I'm going to take IB next year, and I really want to study japanese.

I'm just wondering, is higher level Japanese significantly harder than standard level, and if so, how hard are they?

I hope someone will be able to answer this.

Thanks,

It depends if its Language A1 or A2. Which level are you going to take it at?

Sorry Kyoran, I was meaning Language B. As a second language. Should have specified.

Well, first of all, a good idea is to take a look at the syllabus for language B, it contains B HL and SL. I can't remember the specifics, but for example, you need to be able to speak fluently of a rather difficult topic (with very little mistakes) in your B HL orals, whereas the B SL orals don't require such a difficult topic and some mistakes are allowed even for the highest level (9-10).

• 2 months later...

hello!

just wanted to say i'm enrolled in the abinitio ib japanese at my school...there were only two of us, not enough to start a class.

i was wondering if I could get some feedback from anyone on how their IB Japanese experience is?

thank you!!!!

i love Japan !! and learning Japanese is just something i want and have to do. since my school doesn't offer Japanese, i plan to lean it on my own!! and lucky you for all the people that have chance to learn in high school!! good luck and stick with it!! i'm pretty sure you would love and enjoy every single bit of it!

I'm studying Chinese right now and it is pretty similar to Japanese. They are both challenging but interesting. I would say go SL first and see how it goes. Then switch to HL -if your school allows you to do that.

I would recommend exactly the opposite. It seems to me that first doing SL, then HL is an approach taken by American schools, whereas at least where I study we first do HL and THEN drop to SL if necessary. Americans seem to do lots of anticipated subjects, so I guess that's why you'd take SL first. However, if you start taking it at HL, you'll see whether your level is high enough to succeed in HL class. If you find it too difficult, you can drop to SL and get better grades :P . Hopefully your school allows you to do this, though.

• 2 months later...
Hi,

I'm going to take IB next year, and I really want to study japanese.

I'm just wondering, is higher level Japanese significantly harder than standard level, and if so, how hard are they?

I hope someone will be able to answer this.

Thanks,

have you studied japanese before? because if not, i'd suggest you take japanese ab initio instead... because even the lowest level, japanese B SL requires you to have an okay command of the language and jap B SL is about equivalent to JLPT 3? if im not wrong...