anyone taking further mathematics? Or just a myth

pennywise256

Is there any of you actually taking further mathematics? In my country, no school offers this subject, so it's pretty much a rare one. I don't know of anyone taking it, it sounds like a class for very gifted genii guys, even the name can put off any curious. If you are taking it, please tell us the ordinary Ibs what it is like, else, I would start seriously thinking it's only a myth.

I am doing Further Maths. Self-taught though since my school doesn't offer it. By the way I'm moving this topic to the General IB Discussion thread. No need to be in Mathematics since it's a discussion.

How exactly does self-teaching work? I think I'd have been interested in doing that if my school would have allowed it.

I am doing Further Maths. Self-taught though since my school doesn't offer it. By the way I'm moving this topic to the General IB Discussion thread. No need to be in Mathematics since it's a discussion.

How exactly does self-teaching work? I think I'd have been interested in doing that if my school would have allowed it.

Umm You buy a book and you study by yourself. I don't understand what your school doesn't allow. You only need them to register you for the exam. :S

There's someone at my school taking Further Mathemtics, first person to do so. I imagine it must be insanely hard, as it doesn't get much harder than Maths HL...

Well Further Maths is kind of like Maths HL in the sense that it includes all five options of the higher level course plus geometry. The difference is that the questions are usually even harder to figure out compared to the P3 for Maths HL.

Umm You buy a book and you study by yourself. I don't understand what your school doesn't allow. You only need them to register you for the exam. :S

My school's curriculum is rather limited and they're very against having people deviate from it. Similar thing happened when I asked if I could do computer science for my EE.

My school's curriculum is rather limited and they're very against having people deviate from it. Similar thing happened when I asked if I could do computer science for my EE.

Wow that's strict. I do kind of get it for the EE though since it is kind of risky if Computer Science is not one of your subjects - no matter how good you are at it. I'd suggest asking them if they can register you for the Further Maths exam but as an additional IB Certificate alongside with your IB Diploma so that it has absolutely no relevance with your other IB subjects at school.

Wow that's strict. I do kind of get it for the EE though since it is kind of risky if Computer Science is not one of your subjects - no matter how good you are at it. I'd suggest asking them if they can register you for the Further Maths exam but as an additional IB Certificate alongside with your IB Diploma so that it has absolutely no relevance with your other IB subjects at school.

If it's not too late that might be something to consider... I intend to study more math on my own in what little spare time I have :P... though the main things I intend to study are quite different from the further math curriculum anyway.

Well, when I told my IB Cordinator and EE carrier that I wanted to do my EE on world religions, despite the rarity of such a subject, they din't oppose. they said it was completely up to me. Actually, my school is the other extreme: It gives us more freedom to choice what we want, even though of the ridiculously limited curriculum offered.

Hello!

My school is one of the few ones that offers Further Maths as a class - there's 10 of us in it. So yes, it does exist! I've also heard of a couple of others which offer it as a class, with similarly low class numbers.

I wouldn't call anybody in my class a genius! It's essentially all the options of HL maths put into one class plus an extra section in geometry - it seems challenging because it's more similar to university level maths than formulaic, plug-and-chug high school maths. Despite that, I've found that the IB questions themselves tend to be quite straightforward, especially when compared to those of HL maths. Basically, FL maths - concepts are difficult, questions are easy; HL maths - concepts are easy, questions are difficult.

If there's anything I've forgotten, feel free to ask! :)