Recommended graphing calculators for both HL exam and IA

TogoPogo

Hey, I'm sorry if there's a sticky for this (which I wasn't able to find :/) but I was wondering what graphing calculators are recommended for both the HL math exam and the IA? I'm doing Type I this year and it's about complex numbers.

If it would help, I'm in Canada and I'm looking for one around $100 (if that's possible).

Or, just what brands of GC's are most reliable for students taking HL math?

Thanks

You actually don't really have much choice since the IBO has set a list of approved and recommended calculators. You might want to take a look at this webpage for further information: http://germantownhs....ator%20List.pdf

Also for the IA you probably will need other computer software so don't even bother about it in relation to the calc.

Personally I used Casio FX 9860G II SD and it was superb. Really fast, never lagged and totally trustworthy. Of course that's the series my teacher had been using for some time now (I mean the casio models) so he was familiar with the functions and was able to teach us how to efficiently use it. Taking that into consideration, I'd say use the GDC that your teacher knows best. All of the calculators the IB approves are equally fine so go with the one you know you can learn best how to use. Also you might want to consider that most books base their instructions on specific calculators so you might struggle with that if you have a different brand but I never even cared about it anyway. So in summary my advice is:

1. Check what calc your teacher has been using.

2. Check if you want the books you're using to have their instructions based on the calc you have.

3. Check the prices - graphic calculators are a bit pricey after all.