Planaria Conditioning/ Chemotaxis- Extended Essay Restrictions

Prowess

Hi,

Turns out I had an allergy to mold and so I was forced to halt my experiment with Slime Mold. (The things IB makes you do)

I have decided to test the abilities of planaria worms to learn how to retain memory (become conditioned).

I will test their ability to learn how to solve a maze. I will also condition the organism with an electric pulse (very minute in force and time) and a white strobe to test if it shows the same reaction under only a white strobe. I will also test if this memory is bio-chemically transferred onto a daughter planaria (after I fragment it). I don't what to give to much away.

I guess what I want to know is whether it's allowed to put the organism under these conditions for my EE. We have done so in school already and I have taught my whole class how to deal with planaria.

I would appreciate if only those who had experience or certainty with the issue.

Thanks a million!

Best,

John

To be honest I doubt anybody here would be able to tell you with certainty whether you can or can't do that to the worms. The electric pulse sounds like something dubious in terms of acceptability. If I were you, I'd ask your IB Coordinator (and your EE supervisor) and your IBC can actually get in touch with the IBO on your behalf to check with them whether it's acceptable or not. That's really the safest way of doing it because the IBO can't really penalise you for following their own advice, so... :P

Good luck.

To be honest I doubt anybody here would be able to tell you with certainty whether you can or can't do that to the worms. The electric pulse sounds like something dubious in terms of acceptability. If I were you, I'd ask your IB Coordinator (and your EE supervisor) and your IBC can actually get in touch with the IBO on your behalf to check with them whether it's acceptable or not. That's really the safest way of doing it because the IBO can't really penalise you for following their own advice, so... :P

Good luck.

Good luck.

Thanks! The electric pulse is very minor and there will be no long term effects to the organism. I will be sure to fill you in on an developments. What'ya think about the experiment?