Northwestern or NYU?

Minuet

Well, I'm finally at a crossroads. I was accepted unconditionally to both NYU and Northwestern, but I have absolutely no idea which to pick. So...I thought, what better way to help me reach that decision than asking fellow IB-ers?

I intend to study Communication in Northwestern and Film in NYU. Northwestern only offer a BS, while NYU offer both a BA and BS in FIlm. I heard from several people that a BS is better than a BA because it gives you the opition of either MS or MA in the future, rather than a BA which only limits you to MA. I just want to make sure, is this true? What are your opinions on this? Also, NYU really know how to sell themselves. I got several calls from different people, from faculty and even to students. They're giving me the impression that they just want me to come, and they'll handle the rest. Northwestern, on the other hand, are pretty mellow. They've welcomed me and all, but NYU just went waaay overboard (in a good way) with their welcome. Still, I feel I shouldn't be fooled by such a thing...or is it just because NYU is better than Northwestern?

I'm pretty sure that Northwestern has a better reputation than NYU, but I just want to make sure...is that correct?

Thanks in advance! Any contributions would really mean a lot to me right now.

Edited by Minuet

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. if you want to work in film/communication, it isn't really about the difference in quality of education you receive from those two univerisities (and even if it is, the differences are negligible), it is more about networking. Where do you think you can network more? NYC! If finances do not pose a problem to you, I recommend you attend NYU, where you will meet many famous film directors just walking around in the city...

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should choose NYU just because geographically it would make more sense for you. As the person above me said, when you're into the arts networking is important! I think in New York you'd have better luck getting contacts than in Northwestern. Besides, when you go to a school you go it for more than the quality of education, you go for its name as well (like a brand). Keep that in mind ;) Before this post I never heard of Northwestern but maybe it's because I live on an island in the middle of nowhere :P

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...