What Dictators? What Wars?

Mar Le Devine

You could focus only on Mao and Stalin, and you could get an essay question that's perfectly suited for you and you could answer it with only these two jerks dictators, but you should keep in mind that both of these guys were left-wing dictators. What, by a cruel twist of fate, the best question on the exam for the single-party states option asked you to compare a left-wing AND a right-wing dictator? That is where you would have to discuss Hitler (you could also do Franco or Mussolini if you covered these or had the inclination and time to learn these guys on your own).

The only wars I studied out of the ones you listed are the Gulf War and WWI, so I don't know if the others would be good or not. But you should at least know about five or so that you could discuss from throughout the 20th century to cover all bases. WWI is good, because that comes up a lot. The Algerian War was kind of like a war for independence, right? If so, that might be good for like a civil war-based question.

So in essence yes you could do well if you focus on just what you listed, but if you have time to review any other wars or dictators you studied that might be good as well. It all depends on what questions come up on Paper 2.

Thanks, my "dictator" teacher told me that I should study definitely hitler because of the fact that he is Right-Wing and Either Stalin or Mao because they are Left-Wing, She also told me the argument that a compare/contrast Left-Wing + Right-Wing dictator question may come up. The "War" teacher told me that the wars are ok and I should do just fine. Although, I'm thinking of really focusing on WW1 since I can cover both Paper 1 and 2 + there are countless documentary movies about them.

Yeah, WWI is a good war to know because it comes up a lot and you can use it for both papers (assuming your paper 1 topic has to do with something based on WWI?) Just make sure you know another war or two well in case your Paper 2 question wants a comparison/contrast between multiple twentieth century wars.

These are the topics I am studying:

Hitler- Rise and Rule

Mao- Rise and Rule

Stalin- Rise and Rule

World War 1- Causes and Consequences

World War 2- Causes and Consequences

Inter-war Period 1918-1939: League of Nations, Collective Security, Appeasement,...

Weimar Republic

Cold War (origins, korea/vietnam for comparison)