IB TOK Presentation

Matt*

So me and my friend are doing an IB TOK presentation in about 10 days and I am really confused. We are doing the concept of marriage and then the opening question being what is marriage? I feel like thats too broad, but we were planning on discussing the ethical issues involving homosexual vs heterosexual marriages as well as religious implications, regulations that have been instated, etc. So how should I word my question or is that good? And any other suggestions about things to discuss? (because we have to talk for 20 minutes) Last question: I was planning on putting video clips and articles in the slideshow, is this allowed?

Thanks in advance ! :)

"What is marriage" is not a TOK question. The ideas about your presentation and the ones that surround them must be about knowledge, not marriage. Marriage is just the context. To be honest, I can't think of what your presentation could do with knowledge, unless you can :P Remember you need to include a real life situation, but I think your concern in to integrate WoK and AoK into your presentation as I feel that you did not seem to be very wary of them in your first post.

Think for a moment what you need to accomplish in a TOK presentation. I strongly suggest you read the guidelines or rubrics for this assessment and strictly follow them if you intend to do well; they include everything you need to discuss to devise a quality presentation. Some of our (former) staff members have also posted some guides for you to follow in our TOK forum, so that may be worth looking into depending on you.

Articles and videos should be fine as long as they are very brief. There is a lot to discuss in your presentation and essentially you'd want to be using that time to be discussing TOK material.

What Capt'n said.

Two rules of thumb: your presentation should not be

1. an account of some phenomenon/thing/opinion, like marriage - a balanced presentation will quickly introduce the facts about the topic, but concentrate on TOK

2. about ethics

I think understanding how you should approach choosing the question/title of the presentation is the hardest part, really. But when you get past that, you have in a way understood what TOK is all about. It involves a bit of original thinking, certainly.

have fun with it :D

Edited by Jyrgen

I think that it would be very difficult to give a talk on "What is marriage?" in two presentations of 10 minutes each! Remember that the focus of your presentation must be a clearly formulated knowledge issue, and this should be apparent from your title. You should certainly be able to choose an appropriate issue within the area of "ethics and knowledge".

Almost all conceivable forms (including video clips) are allowed for a TOK presentation, but don't overdue it!