Internal Assesment Question

Chrissytd

My lab portfolio is being sent to IB since I'm the only HL level in my class. Does the whole thing get sent to IB or just the two that my teacher scores? What happens if I do not turn in all the labs that we have done in my class? I've turn in about 90% of the labs that we did

• 1 month later...

I am currently writing a lab report on rates of reaction. We had to test 5 different molar concentrations of Hydrochloric acid and had to add magnesium powder. We had to check how long it took to dissolve the magnesium in the hydrochloric acid by using a stopwatch. When plotting my data I put the time on the y axis and the concentration on the x axis. I don't know if this is right since in the Chemistry study guide it always has time at the bottom. What do you think is correct?

My lab portfolio is being sent to IB since I'm the only HL level in my class. Does the whole thing get sent to IB or just the two that my teacher scores? What happens if I do not turn in all the labs that we have done in my class? I've turn in about 90% of the labs that we did

Essentially you can do as many labs as you want and are able to, but you need to be evaluated in all D/DCP/CE twice. They will take your best mark out of all the labs. I don't know how many labs you've done, so 90% could be anything :P

I am currently writing a lab report on rates of reaction. We had to test 5 different molar concentrations of Hydrochloric acid and had to add magnesium powder. We had to check how long it took to dissolve the magnesium in the hydrochloric acid by using a stopwatch. When plotting my data I put the time on the y axis and the concentration on the x axis. I don't know if this is right since in the Chemistry study guide it always has time at the bottom. What do you think is correct?

Time is usually the independent variable, but this time it IS the dependent variable. I think what you're doing makes sense. Because what you're measuring is the time it takes for the reaction to occur; that is a very dependent variable! You are controlling the concentration, which affects the time.

Next time, make a separate thread for your question :)

In your case time would be the dependent variable. However you will want to process that data into actual rates and then the rate would become the dependent variable with the concentration as the independent variable. The graph made from THAT data will be able to answer your hypothesis if it's what I think it is.