IA Topic Help - Is the Korean War overdone as an ia topic?

prismofreality

Are IA topics about the Korean War too overdone? Originally, I was going to do an ia topic about what was the primary cause that led to the fall of the Joseon Dynasty in Korea; however, I'm having slightly a hard time attempting to find books at my library about this topic, and I was debating about switching my question to something that still interests me and would be a tad easier to find.

I suppose that is dependent on what your focus will be on. You could do a comparison of two different newspapers which discusses a certain event, for instance a Russian or Chinese (North Korean news articles from that time are generally much harder to find, unfortunately) and an American article discussing the UN capture of Pyongyang in October 1950, or two historians' views on how the Korean War affected the American election in 1952. If you just make it narrow enough, or choose a field that is not very much explored (by IB students anyways), you don't have to worry about it being overdone. I myself am thinking of comparing two newspaper articles, one from Soviet Russia and another one from the USA or something like that, about the UN intervention in the Korean War.

And, for the Joseon dynasty, any history book discussing Korea during the 1800s (especially from 1850 and onwards) and early 1900s should discuss the fall of the dynasty. I even found a brief description of its fall in a book about the Korean War. There are loads of books discussing the older Korean history, just keep on looking ;) Now, of course, I do not know if any of the books are accessible in your library.