Eco Commentary - definition in the text or at the beginning?

Definition of economics terminology are essential for a succesful economics commentary. I'm not sure, whether I should write all of them in the beginning or incorporate them into the text? I might write them in the beginning of the text, just like in any short-response question or write them when the term is actualy used, separating it by commas or brackets.

Example:

Supply - definition

Demand - definition

Resources are allocated by the forces of supply and demand.

or

Resources are allocated by the forces of supply (definition) and demand (definiton)

Also, is it better to explain graphs before them or after them?

Explanation before

le nicely drawn graph

Explanation after.

Edited by Jirashimosu
Merged two consecutive posts. Use the 'edit' function instead of posting again.

Although it's essential to use appropriate economic terminology in the commentaries, I don't think it's essential to define standard economic terms. If definitions are included, the IBO only specifies that they should be in the body of the work (and included in the word count of 750 words).

It seems more logical to show each graph before explaining it.

You must define

I don't think it's essential to define standard economic terms.

Yes it is very essential to define standard economic terms in economics commentaries. If you don't define any terms you use you'll lose 4-5 marks out of 20 :/ So define all the economic terms you use...it's an easy 4-5 marks to get. All you have to do is copy the definitions straight out of your notes/textbook. Just put them in brackets so that the definition is there but it doesn't interrupt the flow of your commentary...

ex. The result of an increase in aggregate demand is inflation (a rise in the general price level as measured by the Consumer Price Index)

Yes it's more logical to show a graph before you explain it. Just write a little intro phrase so the graph doesn't look like it's appearing out of nowhere.

ex. The hurricane which struck Florida is an example of bad weather conditions, which decreased the supply of apples, shown on the diagram below.

• Like 1

You should not lose any marks for not defining standard economic terms in the commentaries as long as they are used appropriately. The Economics Internal Assessment TSM that I uploaded to the Files section states that the requirement for achievement level 5 in Criterion C is:

"The commentaries in the portfolio consistently demonstrate appropriate use of economic terminology. Terms requiring definitions are correctly defined."

In the example Commentary 4 of Portfolio A, the moderator states: "the student uses economic terms appropriately, but does not define them. This does not deter from the overall quality of the portfolio." The commentary was awarded full marks in Criterion C.

The IA FAQ also states that: " Good students will show thorough understanding of terms either by defining them or by using them accurately."

Of course, if your moderator is not following the IBO procedures for IA then it would be wise to include definitions of all the standard terms.

• Like 1

personal opinion: first define and then analyse, so that the reader knows what you're writting about before the evaluation beginns.

in the other case (in the body) it just make the evaluation more complicated than it really is.

I always have two parts.

I/ Theory

II/ Evaluation

Good luck !

personal opinion: first define and then analyse, so that the reader knows what you're writting about before the evaluation beginns.

in the other case (in the body) it just make the evaluation more complicated than it really is.

Note that the instructions actually state: "Definitions of economic terms and quotations, if used, must be in the body of the work and are included in the word count."

Of course, this requirement would still be satisfied if they are placed at the start of the body.

Edited by HiggsHunter

Whether to define or not really depends on which year you're taking the IB. My year/session (May 12) is the last year before the new syllabus came in. The new syllabus states that you do not have to define terms, but for May 12 candidates, it's essential that you do define terms.

• Like 1

I tend to put my definitions after the sentence I used the word in.

e.g. The cold weather caused a fall in supply of strawberries. Supply is (definition).

It usually means that I start to struggle for the 750 limit, but it also allows it to seem quite professional. However, all of the other options given work just fine I think.

On the note of diagram explanation, you should say something, use a diagram to show it, then explain the diagram underneath it.

For example...

(talking about the article and economics...)

Diagram showing the economics concept

Explanation of the diagram

Continues....

Again, it does take up time, but I think it also makes it look good, and it's easy to read also.

(I know of a student who used these structures; got 19 or 20, can't remember which)