Sign in to follow this  

studying for IB History SL exam

Good day fellow IB students

The may IB exams are on the door and I really need advice on how to study for my history exams. I have both OSC revision guides (for p1 peacekeeping, and p2 single part and cold war resp) and the actual "course literature", which is based on A-levels more than IB and contains plenty of unnecessary information, so i was wondering, is it enough reading through the OSC guides or not, given that I have already read all the course literature required during the previous 2 years as a part of "before class preparations". Please give me advice

Whilst it is essential to remember content, you also have to be able to write a good essay. Practice practice practice past exams, try to get someone to mark them if you can.

It helps to read something, write it out, and repeat. Read widely on the topic that you are studying, including historical-based fiction books, as this will give you new perspectives with which to tackle questions.

Look at the markschemes and criteria for past essays and aim for the top band! There are many study guides out there as well, they would help for facts/figures.

Lastly, utilise the resources on this page! There are many pages of notes in the files section.

paper 1:

practise doing past papes

paper 2:

look at the syllabus and choose two topics to study. study them deeply. make sure you remember the facts. also make sure that you answer the question properly (if the question says "compare and contrast" you don't just describe). Learn the command terms!

Best thing to do (i found) was to write a summary on major events that you have studied, and stick key points or flashcards around the house; on the roof above the bed, next to the shower, whatever works.

Old exams help a heap as well.