Sign in to follow this  

Can I use a fungus in my Chemistry Extended Essay?

I need to synthesize enough quantities of arachidonic acid, and one of the more commericial means of obtaining this fatty acid is done through the fermentation of a specific fungus. As I am essentially using a biological organism in something that is supposed Chemistry-based, I simply need to know whether this is going against the rules of a CHEMISTRY EE.

Any advice or answer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D

Assuming you're going to use that arachidonic acid as part of a Chemistry experiment then it should be fine to use a fungus as the source. However if your experiment were "how much arachidonic acid does Fungus X produce under Y conditions?" then it would become Biology.

I need to synthesize enough quantities of arachidonic acid, and one of the more commericial means of obtaining this fatty acid is done through the fermentation of a specific fungus. As I am essentially using a biological organism in something that is supposed Chemistry-based, I simply need to know whether this is going against the rules of a CHEMISTRY EE.

Any advice or answer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D

If the actual synthesis of arachidonic acid is not part of your study, I would suggest that you just purchase the AA that you need for your experiment. Sigma-Aldrich can supply >99% GC purity product in Belgium at a reasonable price in quantities as small as 10mg.