Repeating IB1?

nanon

Hi,

I am currently in IB1, and I am finding it quite enjoyable. However, I am pretty young and in my opinion not ready for the independence that comes with university (looking to study interstate) or the freedom of a gap year. I am looking to postpone Year 12 (or IB2) and I was wondering if I can repeat Year 11 (IB1) after completing it this year. Does the IB allow it, or once we are committed, do we have to stay?

Thanks in advance!

If your grades are decent, why would you want to repeat a year?

Just go to IB2, finish IB2, and decide where you want to go from there. Go to university or take a gap year.

You can mature a lot in one year. What if in one year you feel ready to go to uni but you're stuck in high school for another year?

Go to IB2. It keeps your options wide open for what you want to do later.

Hi,

I am currently in IB1, and I am finding it quite enjoyable. However, I am pretty young and in my opinion not ready for the independence that comes with university (looking to study interstate) or the freedom of a gap year. I am looking to postpone Year 12 (or IB2) and I was wondering if I can repeat Year 11 (IB1) after completing it this year. Does the IB allow it, or once we are committed, do we have to stay?

Thanks in advance!

In my school many people are actually forced to repeat IB1 because they fail too many subjects or whatever, so I would think it's no problem unless your school has a specific policy that's against it. It sounds slightly weird to actually want to repeat the year if you didn't fail, but I guess it's amazing preparation for the exams; you will be SO familiar with the material. Good luck!

If your grades are decent, why would you want to repeat a year?

Just go to IB2, finish IB2, and decide where you want to go from there. Go to university or take a gap year.

You can mature a lot in one year. What if in one year you feel ready to go to uni but you're stuck in high school for another year?

Go to IB2. It keeps your options wide open for what you want to do later.

That was my original train of thought, and I really do want to take a gap year. However, I will start start uni when I'm 17 (legally won't be able to drink, or drive) and there is heaps of volunteer programs I am considering for my gap year that requires you to be 18. It's basically about the age thing. I did year 8-9-10 in two years, so I'll be graduating with the original cohort, and at the right age.

In terms of the uni thing, I figure that if I'm ready now, ill be ready in one year also !

If your grades are decent, why would you want to repeat a year? Just go to IB2, finish IB2, and decide where you want to go from there. Go to university or take a gap year. You can mature a lot in one year. What if in one year you feel ready to go to uni but you're stuck in high school for another year? Go to IB2. It keeps your options wide open for what you want to do later.
That was my original train of thought, and I really do want to take a gap year. However, I will start start uni when I'm 17 (legally won't be able to drink, or drive) and there is heaps of volunteer programs I am considering for my gap year that requires you to be 18. It's basically about the age thing. I did year 8-9-10 in two years, so I'll be graduating with the original cohort, and at the right age. In terms of the uni thing, I figure that if I'm ready now, ill be ready in one year also !
Yes but if you're ready now then you'll be annoyed that you can't go to uni if you repeat a year, and probably bored in class too since all of this stuff is a repeat for you. Plus don't you want to finish high school with your friends? I will also be 17 when I start uni in September, and I won't be able to legally drink or drive (I'm of legal age but too lazy to get my licence). If you live in residence at uni, chances are you won't bring a car...you'll likely be taking public transport to get around. If you live at home, maybe you'll drive but there's transit too. And...not everyone who drinks at uni is of legal age lol. It's up to you in the end, but I'm just voicing my opinion/personal experience here :P