Possibly the easiest way to stop procrastination.

krakaton

Turn off your computer, put your phone on silent and eliminate all distractions (this is probably the most difficult bit).

And now, the genius.

Take out your (insert IB tool of terror here) and your notebook and pledge that you will do 10 minutes of work and 10 minutes only.

Start working.

By the time you reach 10 minutes, you'll feel like it was barely any time at all, so do 20 minutes more.

If it's a long assignment, by this time you'll be so engrossed in it that you won't want to stop because it feel 'almost finished'.

If it's a series of short assignments, then every 30 minutes you should stand up stretch.

The key here has nothing to do with the time periods or anything complicated, just the act of starting to work. The moment you pick up a pen and start writing, you beat procrastination and it really isn't that hard to do.

Notes:

If you're doing work on your computer, then use a program called Cold Turkey to block unwanted websites. Unless you're a Computer Science HL student, you shouldn't be able to get around it's failsafes.

Don't push yourself too hard. When I did my maths portfolio, I spent 6 hours working on it nonstop and couldn't unclench my fingers from my pen. Exercise discretion.

You're not going to become superman in a day; if you're working an hour a day now, you'll be up to an hour and a half or two hours tomorrow. It takes time and patience to become a perfect IB student.

• Like 2

This seems like a good idea. It takes a lot of discipline, though. When studying I turn off all the electronic devices and set goals. (for example by 19.00 I should be done with X). The problem is that sometimes I still get distracted and end up staring at the celing ad thinking. Do you have any advise for this?

Edited by marauder7

If you're doing work on your computer, then use a program called Cold Turkey to block unwanted websites.

Thank you so much for all the helpful tips! And especially this website, I've been looking for something like this because I do all my work on the computer so it is sometimes really hard to not get distracted.

I think my personal problem is that often, I need to be in a particualr setting to work in, like a library or at school. For some reason, my brain only absorbs a lot of information or I can only stay focsed in a very quite area.

Also sometimes, I overthink things, and I do lots of research before actually getting down to just doing the work. I will try out these tips and hopefully I can, at the end of IB2, be a proud non-procrastinator! :D

• 2 weeks later...

If you're a mac user, you can use this app called SelfControl too! It's so good!

For me the motivations I have completely eliminate distractions! I just want to leave the country I'm in now so I need to study hard and get into a good university in Canada so I can leave. I think about this for 10-15 minutes and the fact that how hard life is going to be if I had to live here a single day more AND THEN I find myself studying 5-10 hours some nights :D It really works! Just motivate yourself!