How Hard Is The IB Studies Exam?

BG1

I'm considerably scared for the math exam. It's my first IB exam which adds to the anxiety :( I feel like i'm going to fail D: Also, my teacher hasn't even told us our predicted grades which she said she would do a while back...

How hard is the exam?

What were your scores (and how hard did you study for it)?

You take math studies, right??

In March I had mock exams. We did the 2011 exam. We had seen in class all of the things that came in the exam. My problem was time. I didn't finish the exam.

Last week we got them back and my teacher told me that if that had been the real exam I would have gotten a 5. The lowest grade in my class was 3.

According to my teacher these were the markbands for last year (remember that they change from year to year).

PAPER 1:

1= 0-13

2= 14-27

3= 28-38

4= 39-50

5= 51-63

6= 64-75

7= 76-90

PAPER 2

1= 0-13

2= 14-27

3= 28-38

4= 39-49

5= 50-61

6= 62-72

7= 73-90

So you don't have to have a perfect score to get a 7.

My last advice for you is to study hard and solve past papers

good luck!!

• Like 1

It's not really difficult at all. You passed algebra 2 I'm assuming...and geometry...so you can easily do math studies.

Hardest thing for me was probability (the weird ones like P(A|B)) and the silly finance stuff just because I could never tell which freakin' equation to use.

Score: 6

Time Studying: 15min before we sat down to take it.

As the above poster said, time can be an issue for paper 2 if you don't understand just how long it is. Remember you CAN take small shortcuts but if the grader ever loses track of your thought process you will likely lose points. So, don't skip big things, if it's an equation you know off the top of your head and can do it you still need to do a total of 3 things: state the equation, plug in your numbers real quick, output an answer. That is the minimum work you could do. If it requires more steps of course add them.

DO NOT simply plug in numbers. You get points for stating the equation, it's free points...

If you use a calculator for something write off the side "by GDC" to let them know you used your calculator. Otherwise they have no idea how you got an answer and that's bad, you need to show off to the graders :P

• Like 1

I got a 5 on my mock with 0 studying, to be honest. The way Studies is graded is much easier than SL and HL, imo. Just make sure not to make silly mistakes *remember; UNIT PENALTIES!*, and learn how to use your calculator... with it alone you can secure a lot of marks. Practice is key for speed... my teacher always says that the difference between a 6 and a 7 is that both know everything, but a 6 will not have enough time to finish. Difference between a 6 and a 5 is slightly larger, as a 5 usually doesn't know a unit or two. (:

• 4 months later...

PAPER 1:

1= 0-13

2= 14-27

3= 28-38

4= 39-50

5= 51-63

6= 64-75

7= 76-90

PAPER 2

1= 0-13

2= 14-27

3= 28-38

4= 39-49

5= 50-61

6= 62-72

7= 73-90

This makes me feel more confident for getting a level 7 in maths! My maths teacher, the way he explained the grade boundaries to me, I was under the impression I couldn't drop over 15 marks between both papers to get the 7, whereas unless I'm misunderstanding it seems to be no more than 15 errors each paper! Good to hear :) so OP/anyone else you will be fine haha, GCSE knowledge and knowing how to use your GDC will get you a good grade alone!

• Like 1

It was really easy. As long as you don't overthink the question, you'll do fine. I overthought everything the first couple of exams my teacher gave us and didn't score very well, but as soon as I just simplified the question, I did really well. I ended up getting a 7 on my maths studies exam. You'll be absolutely fine. Just don't forget your calculator!

Haha especially as I got my calculator halfway into the first year and didn't even know how to use the graphing on it until after the yr 12 mock... and I'm not exceptional at maths anywway... and I didn't take it too seriously and made stupid mistakes like not doing 3 significant figures, and I still got level 6. So I'm hoping to get a level 7 in yr 13 considering I won't let myself be held down by any of those weaknesses this year! See, it's not too much to be worried about, worry more on your highers, or your language! Ugh, language :P

• Like 1