IB theatre RI ideas...

Whisk

Hi, my theatre teacher told us to start thinking about our RI topics...

I'm really interested in musical theatre so I was thinking of doing something related to musicals, probably something like costume or movement investigation in the musical CATS. But are their any theatre practices related to the musical or the style?

I need to choose a theatre practice first.. so please suggest me ideas of interesting RI topics (it'd be awesome if it could be related to musical theatre). Thank you!

Naturalism is used a fair bit in European theatre, but this might be too easy.

You could always do the lighting or costuming rather than the staging, especially with CATS I imagine that the costuming would be pretty interesting, as would lighting - the way you can portray subtext through lighting and costume perhaps

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Whisk. I know you may love musical theatre but DO NOT do it! I was wanting to do Singspiel (german musical theatre) for my RI and my teacher informed me that to do so is very dangerous. Because of the musical aspect it would actually fall under IB Music. Even if you focused specifically on the technicalities, it didn't really make sense to me at first but now I think it is for the best to stay away from it. This being due to the fact that it would all depend on how your grader feels while they are grading. But if you do decide to venture forward, and do so cautiously, I think it would be a bad idea to do Cats. The point of the RI is to do something that is far away from you in space and time, and Cats isn't really either of those in fact it is quite main stream. I don't want to crush your dreams for your RI, but I felt like someone should tell you so you can make an informed decision.

Hi, my theatre teacher told us to start thinking about our RI topics...

I'm really interested in musical theatre so I was thinking of doing something related to musicals, probably something like costume or movement investigation in the musical CATS. But are their any theatre practices related to the musical or the style?

I need to choose a theatre practice first.. so please suggest me ideas of interesting RI topics (it'd be awesome if it could be related to musical theatre). Thank you!

Musical theatre alone is not exactly a theatre practice as you may have realized and honestly, it doesn't really matter if you LIKE your RI topic or not, I urge you to choose a topic that is DO-ABLE. Remember half of your grade really comes from how thoroughly you can research and your range of sources and I'm not sure how much 'research' you would be able to come up with for such a topic. If you are interested in theatre practices that use music then you could try looking at more Asian cultures that focus more on exaggerated movement and music rather than words like Indian Kathakali, or Japanese Butoh (which is a popular one so I've heard). Though again it can sometimes be difficult to get a good amount of legitimate information on some asian practices unless you can track down a person who has experience and is willing to give you an interview (and personal interviews look great on your RI).