How does the world feel about the USA?

As I'm sure many people have noticed, there is a lot of anti-US sentiment in the world today. As a US citizen, the question I have to ask is, is this how everyone in the global community feels? I was hoping that IB students from around the world would be able to help me answer this question. The only thing I ask is that you list your country, and whether your response is meant to reflect your personal opinion, or the opinion of your country as a whole. Thank you, and may the force be with you.

US citizen, anti-US! personal opinion, bien sur.

It's important to note that I am not against the people, I'm against the country and the way it does things. I specifically do not like the I am better than you, and I have the final word attitude that the U.S. exudes. This is not only with Bush, so I won't say that I have resentment against Bush only.

I don't like capitalism, I don't like the universities system for undergrads, I don't like that ridiculous pride that we have, that we are the top gun :) , and I don't like the fact that the U.S. controls or has a very firm word in international affairs such as the UN.

Edited by rue saint-denis

US and EU citizen (Denmark), semi-anti-US, both personal opinion and country's opinion. Danes have a love/hate relationship with USA. They are both fascinated by it and bothered by its existence, so most Danes I meet want to talk to me just because I'm American or purposely avoid me and bash me in Danish to their friends (even though I understand it). I think the anti part is mostly because of Bush though, but I can't really say :)

Jordanian/Armenian/Cypriot (God why can't it ever be simple!) hardly anti-American (I loves it! I are going there this summer woohoo) I am however anti-republican :D (not just Bush! the whole bunch of them :) )

Funny thing is you'd expect that the anti-Americanism would be produced from the Arab world, while it's not really... I mean I've seen more anti-Americans in Europe than I have living back in Amman. Here the majority of the Anti-Americans are the fanatics, and since fanaticism and you really don't wanna mix with the fanatic bunch anyway :) People here treat foreigners better than they treat their fellow citizens, and especially the Americans!

Although the Iraq war brought up some controversy, but it was mainly Bush hate than American hate :P

• Like 1

Swiss/English (more Swiss than English). I despise the current administration, but to be fair I have no problem with the vast majority of Americans. Although I feel that the level of ignorance in the US is incredible, that doesn't mean that there are not many good people. I would be at fault to resent people that (at least right now) are clearly not happy with their own administration.

I just hope more and more people decide it's time to make INFORMED decisions. Then again, I really dislike ignorant people, irregardless of where they are from :) .

Australian.

No, not fans we aren't. (Meaning we're not particularly fond of America) (and this is both personal and general to Australia)

I think it's because of the "personality" that the country has shown in the past few decades, in particular with wars. It's very much a "we know the best" persona, and while that's given by the government's actions, the people elect the government. Americans are also seen as somewhat ignorant of other cultures. If you've seen the film "The Darjeeling Limited", this depicts the ignorance perfectly. The three main characters go to India for a "spiritual journey" at temples and with traditional "guru" practices. Basically they go through the motions but get no-where spritually, and make themselves look odd everywhere they go, treating the place as "quaint".

If you all don't mind I'd like to represent the under-represented and state my own opinions about the USA.

Some Americans are ignorant, but each country has their fair share of ignorant people. Most Americans do not know much about the world and culture outside the USA, but we have our own long history that is taught in school and we are proud of it. Some are patriotic to the extreme of looking down on other countries, but each country has their own extremists. Our government might not have the best leadership, but no-one could predict what Bush has done and no-one knows what would have happened if someone else was in charge. Many Americans think they are better than everyone else, but it's a product of our breeding - what is taught in school and at home - and not everyone is so ignorant to believe this (and we have reason to be proud of our country, like everyone else does).

What I'm trying to say is that, in my opinion, we are not all that different even if we are from America or Russia, and I credit this forum for helping me see this.

Chinese/Canadian.

My own personal opinion is that yes, Americans seem to live only within the US and don't have as much worldly knowledge as others, but that doesn't mean ALL of them are like that. Americans are stereotyped to be extremely patriotic, war-loving, obese, ignorant hicks most of the time, and I think that's unfair. I'm very much anti-Bush though and I know part of the Canadian anti-Americanism stems from the fact that Bush was voted back in for a second term of presidency which leads Canadians (on the whole) to question their intelligence and how patriotic/war-loving they are.

American. personal opinion.

i like it here in general. i cannot comment on ploitics seeing as i don't follow them at all (how american of me!), but i can commment on the social aspect of america. i like the people that i met, and htere can be variety (dpending on where you live) of cultures blended together. yes... ther are americans that can be ignorant to the international world, and they need to realize that the US is NOT always going to be so big and strong with this being one of the reasons why. i mean come on.... there are states that have banned IB! we need to get out more. see the world, see that there is so much mopre out there. i have a friend and he plans on studying engineering over the next four yars, and he mationed to anohter american that he hope to move out of the US once he has graduated for work. and then the american replied to him "you are the reason therer are no smart people in the US, it is coz all of the smart ones leave the US for work." basically i think that is stupid, but i plan to leave the US... i am bored with it and just need a change, and i think outsie of the US is where i need that change. don't get me wrong i love it here, i was born and reaised all over the US, but i need a change and a new expierence.

Edited by IBStuck

honey! it's hardly the problem in the US, since most of the smart asses I've met are planning on moving to the US to work there! my brother being one of them! who studied civil engineering in Amman and now works in California :P don't worry what is lost is soon gained!

I've actually studied the US attitude of anti-foreigners. It has been going on since the country's start, I'm sorry to say. The immigrants who have established themselves are always afraid of the new immigrants moving in. I have come to the conclusion that it stems from a natural fear of the unknown. People are afraid of what they do not understand. I think that it is just more apparent in the US because more people are always coming here. I personally welcome immigrants. they boost our economy because they work harder than anyone else. What has become interesting is that many Mexican immigrants here have been in the country long enough that they have established companies, and many are very rich. I can foresee that in the near future, the immigrant fear will not be focused on immigrants from Mexico, and instead on immigrants from some other country. Then again, unless we can turn our country around, people might not want to move here.

Chinese/Canadian.

My own personal opinion is that yes, Americans seem to live only within the US and don't have as much worldly knowledge as others, but that doesn't mean ALL of them are like that. Americans are stereotyped to be extremely patriotic, war-loving, obese, ignorant hicks most of the time, and I think that's unfair. I'm very much anti-Bush though and I know part of the Canadian anti-Americanism stems from the fact that Bush was voted back in for a second term of presidency which leads Canadians (on the whole) to question their intelligence and how patriotic/war-loving they are.

Yea, thats pretty much my opinion as well.

I'm Taiwanese/Canadian

Yea, thats pretty much my opinion as well.

I'm Taiwanese/Canadian

I completely agree with you both that americans are not as culturally educated as people in europe and the rest of the world. I would say that this is mostly because americans aren't surrounded by as many other countries, like the countries of europe, where people regularly go to other countries. I myself have only been to two other countries, and those were canada and mexico. I guess that americans just don't get out often enough. If we did, we probably wouldn't be as culturally ignorant. One thing I will say is, if you live in another country, and you come across an american, please don't assume that we are assholes :P , because some of us are okay, and we try very hard to improve the american image, but when people make assumptions about us, it is very disheartening.

i am having difficulty quoting you, but i will just hat i want to.

i agree with you about americans not always knowing to mouch about other countries (thank God for IB). and like you i have only ever left the US twice, and i have some to the conclusion it is just to expensive.

and now i need a passport to do it too. before to go to Canada and the Bahamma's all i need was my birth certificate and they left me through customs, but they went and changed that law.

and i also agree some of us are ok... some are better than ok. don't judge us off the american sterotype.

Edited by IBStuck

Australian

and winter is right, in general (and my personal opinion too) we are anti-american. And you guys above me are right about americans not getting out much, only 20% of americans have a passport. What I find frustrating above America is the war in Iraq, in that it came about in such a disgusting circumstance, weapons of mass destruction. The proof was acouple of picture of a warehouse where there were apparently WMDs, but you can't tell that by looking at the picture yet americans seemed to fall for it, as 90% of Americans believed that the iraq war was the correct thing to do before it happened. However I do support the soldiers staying there to try to fix up the mess they have created. The other thing I think that annoys people about America is that they are loud as a collective. Always talking themselves up, which in Australia is just something you don't do, otherwise you'll be seen as arrogant. Something else think that might annoys people about America is the high proportion of extremist christians, who are just as bad as the islamic extremists. And the ignorance thing too, but I wouldn't say that Australia is good in that regard too. Another thing is the gun toting. But then again their are some quite good things that come from america, like some of the musicians, america's next top model (just love the bitching), Apple.

100% Finnish

Some Americans are ignorant, but each country has their fair share of ignorant people

Very true, agree 100% - we all have our idiots. But I hate ignorance - it's often seen even on this forum, not just by Americans. But I might be ignorant as well, but just don't see it:).

but we have our own long history that is taught in school and we are proud of it

Umm.. no :P your history is actually quite short...

Especially in education, in school the kids get stimulated to do extra-curriculars which I think gives you more of a life

Au contraire! ECs mean you don't have time for NORMAL social contact, just hanging out etc. Must one always do something 'useful'?

and they need to realize that the US is always going to be so big and strong

Umm, do you mean not going to be big and strong or not :D . Anyways, American influence is fading whilst the influence of China is growing. America isn't as powerful as, say, after WWII

Apple

Oh yes, Apple! I love Apple! I know, I'm vain and mainstream and what not, but I love my Mac and my iPod Touch :)

Umm.. no :P your history is actually quite short...

too true

Au contraire! ECs mean you don't have time for NORMAL social contact, just hanging out etc. Must one always do something 'useful'?

i still have a normal social life

Umm, do you mean not going to be big and strong or not :D . Anyways, American influence is fading whilst the influence of China is growing. America isn't as powerful as, say, after WWII

ooops. that is what i was thinking, but apparently not what i typed... havn't yu noticed by now that i cannot type an=ything, but if you wish you can bruch it off as american ignorance. but that isn't what i think. i am changing that now. i wouldn't be surprised if we fell during our lifetimes. that is a sad thing to say, but it is what i think!

*EDIT*

all fixed. :)

Edited by IBStuck

• 1 month later...
there are states that have banned IB!

no way! which? and why?!?

IB's one of the great ways to rid the "condescending American" stereotype. I know my eyes have been opened a lot, through studying other cultures and even just forums like these which allow for conversations like this. I don't understand why ANYONE would ban IB.

(american by the way, as my little flag over there <<< denotes)

I'm not going to mention my nationality, for the simple basis that people might find me biased.

I'll be blatant. I don't like the US, it's foreign policies and the way they treat people who make an effort to visit the country. I'm not saying I don't like the people, because most Americans I've met have been downright nice. That's not to say that most of them are intelligent, because most people I do see are horrifyingly ignorant. They have no knowledge of what goes in the world around them. There have been people who I've talked to in Los Angeles, and when I've mentioned that I'm from Singapore, they said "Did you drive from there?" W T F?

What they've done in Iraq is inexcusable, by turning an already bad country, into something much much worse. The question here is, what gives them the permission to even meddle in other countries' affairs? They should be looking at the shambles that are existent in their own country before looking to 'fix' the world.

The patriotism that exists in the people of America is unbelievable. Fine, you're proud about your country, but there's no reason to actually be violent about it. What is there to be proud of any way? The crazy gun control laws which is the basis of the problem of all those shootings that have taken place. The racism that exists, or the fact that there is so much unevenness in the whole country. There are State that are obviously different than other states.

The fact that the DHS thinks that all people entering the country are either: future illegal immigrants or terrorists. There is something that is known as courtesy which most immigration officers at entry ports lack. A smile really does go a long way. If you want to question me, sure, at least be nice about it. I understand it's your job, there's no need to be an ******* about it.

I won't even go in to the uni system and absurdity of the SATs, as well as the way they don't actually understand IB at all.

That all being said, I've highlighted the bad points. There are some good things too, such as Apple or The Apprentice, or Hollywood or some really good TV shows.