How does the world feel about the USA?

American

Wow. You know, Bush may have doen some terrible things, but i feel that the shoe throwing thing by the Iraqi journalist was a little over the top. Bush engaged in Iraq, yes for the war, but more so for his father's honour. His father was involved in teh previous Gulf Wars, and he wanted a sort of closure to it. He has admitted to being wrong, adn has said that htis was a terrible thing to do. HOWEVER, for people to think that all Americans have the same view as his or to think that we are all idiots is a little extreme. I'm from Virginia and we haven't gone blue (democrat) in over 60 years!! Forget the election, most people in Virginia were excited that it went blue. American's been trying to change its appearance internationally, but it's not easy. Give us some time, with our new president and his Cabinet, we should be able to raise people's views in us because for the first time in a long time, a lot of people are proud to be an American.

• 2 weeks later...

im tunisian

this is a bit too late...

i dont mind the amercians at all...i've lived in the US..in auburn,AL specifically...and i like it there....i just DISLIKE the current goverment....being an arab probably...but it has caused so much of a spread out massacre in the arab world...

but im sooooo optimistic about Obama's Gov.

so yeah...but im giving the opinion of not only most tunisians but of most arabs..if you're interested...simply.....the people....we dont mind at all...the goverment...the current one....we just...HATE....no offence

• 2 weeks later...

America is my home country so I will obviously have a bias towards it, after living in New Zealand for 9 years now I have fought against harsh anti-Americanism because of the country and the way it has been run. Comments like 'Your American right? Well we all hope you die' are just some of the things I have encountered and taken for being American while living in New Zealand. I will always love America , yes, I know its not perfect and once you get past the government, get past the stereotypes [fat, anorexic, Hollywood, reality TV] and start looking into the great and lovely neighbor hoods your will find great and caring people like the rest of the world. America is a great place and for people that haven't lived there or traveled there, Please don't just hate it because of the government or what you see on TV, Please!.

Edited by drewrow

• 1 month later...

Chinese/Australian.

Dislike the government, love the people (well, the ones I talk to anyways). I'm not extremely fond of guns, but I do get their point of view, doesn't mean I agree with it though. The war is just well, enough is enough? I don't particularly like the "we are better than you", "we are policing the world", "we must save the poor people!" when really they are just after the oil. (It's like Vietnam war >_>)

While stereotype isn't the best, but it does show how certain people think. Ignorance is something I detest. (and I must say, I hate it even more in China. but that's another story.. censorship and self-absorbance) I think being bit more aware doesn't do any harm honestly. I really hate those that are ignorant and is absolutely firm on their bias views and so on. Not to mention, some teenagers and their inability to type and think like an intelligent human being. (Of course, all countries have that..but USA just expose more of that than the rest of the world).

I am losing my train of thought so I'll leave it there. I still do love most of the Americans that I talk to though <3

US Permanent Resident, Citizen of People's Republic of China.

I believe that the US's involvement in world conflicts isn't reflecting very well, especially with the war on terrorism. It is not okay to invade a country and try to enforce peace when those countries did not and do not want peace. We can't force people to accept democracy as their new government. We can't always combat communism. We just need to let them be. Rather than being the people coming in and trying to help, the US is seen as the enemy, trying to impose laws that are not accepted in foreign socities. This is not good.

when those countries did not and do not want peace.

I disagree on that.

Its not that countries dont want peace, its that they never asked the US to come and help them.

I find it strange how the US claims that those countries need their help when it does NOT.

Countries were way peacefull before the US decided that 'oh..we need implement our system in it and help them'. Take Iraq as an example, Saddam was bad yes, but Iraq was very peaceful, it was always given as an example of a peaceful country.

Besides, we all know that the US government only does this because it wants to take over something much more important than just trying to fix an inexisting problem. As for the Iraq, its more than obvious that they want the oil nothing else.

as a canadian with relatives and friends in the states- Canadians make fun of Americans here (Rick Mercer report- don't know if anyone has watched it- HILARIOUS) and consequently, Americans make fun of Canadians there ( i know eh, hockey etc.)

Speaking as an American I do want to agree with one point stated and that is that a lot of people in the United States are unaware and slightly ignorant to worldly affairs. Take for example in my history class around a week ago where we found out that more than half the class did not know that we were fighting a war in Afghanistan until it was mentioned by Obama. However, I do think it is wrong to assume that EVERYONE in the US is like that. Many of my friends, including myself always try to keep updated with the latest news around the world.

as a canadian with relatives and friends in the states- Canadians make fun of Americans here (Rick Mercer report- don't know if anyone has watched it- HILARIOUS) and consequently, Americans make fun of Canadians there ( i know eh, hockey etc.)

Rick Mercer is my hero :(

its hard to say what i think of americans ... all of the americans i know in germany have lived all over the world and are therefore very internationalized, whereas by our summer home in florida, there seem to be a fair share of ignorant people (ive actually been asked seriously if everyone in canada lives in igloos ... :))

I think there are ignorant people all ove rthe world though, and this has just been amplified by bush ...

australia~

to me, american's are just like us aussies, except that you guys have a weird accent (but to you our accent is funny so i guess it's equal). personally, i don't mind americans. i have met people from america and i've been to america and they've all been nice people, so i don't have a reason to dislike them. HOWEVER, it's true, majority of the US population is rather...ignorant and you tend to give off a bad impression. but most of the flaws lie within the government and all the stupid decisions they've made that has caused an insane number of people to die. but that's not exactly the population's fault is it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

USA= the smaller country below us. :P

I think the US is an okay country, but i do find it a tad bit over-rated. Everyone seems to regard the US as ‘the country for dreamers’ but honestly, the US isn’t much different then many other countries. I don’t like the fact that the economy is such bad shape and its going to throw Canada a few hurtles :D . But i have to give the US props for kicking future Bush’s out of office and throwing Obama (who is liberal in). At least the Americans are smart enough. Wonder when Canadians will relaise that the Torries and Harper need to get out of Office and put Ignatieff and the Libs. In. :D

• 4 weeks later...
I feel that the level of ignorance in the US is incredible

Agreed.

Canadians know that they are pretty much a 'sub-unit' of the U.S.

However, we do not like to accept that... and we're in constant search of our own Canadian identity :blink:

Overall, in Canada, U.S. is viewed to be more live, violent and ignorant than Canada.

After some discussion we've decided to lock both of the What does the world think about the USA and Australia threads as these threads are just too general for good discussion. We can't have a thread about what the world thinks about every country there is. Leaving threads about the USA and Australia open wouldn't be fair to other threads that will be closed. If you have any particular issues about either Australia or the US that you really want to discuss you are welcome to start new threads for them, but a thread just for "opinions" on a country is too broad.