Sign in to follow this  

Rape culture knowledge issue

So I want to do a TOK presentation on rape culture, specifically focusing on victim blaming. However, I have a horrible understanding of knowledge issues, mostly because my teacher has barely even addressed them or what they are in class. I have been mulling over my topic for ages and I still can't figure out a knowledge issue concerning victim blaming. Originally I was going to focus on how society affects what we "know" and the connect that to internalized misogyny, but I couldn't figure out how. Does anyone have suggestions of some knowledge issues derived from my topic? And how I might be able to address them in my presentation?

It's difficult to find a good knowledge for victim blaming, a couple that pop into my mind are "To what extent is victim blaming influencing society's general perception of rape and how does this influence the verdict?" or "To what extent is society responsible for victim blaming?"

These might not be what you're looking for or way off point. The best way to go about it is to find key points of controversy in your presentation and base the knowledge issues around that. When it comes to finding knowledge issues, it does tend to form in the mind easier when there is something that has two sides to the argument. Using "to what extent" or "how do we know" to phrase the issue also helps too.

Thank you so much! The first one is exactly what I was looking for, I just couldn't figure out how to phrase it into a good question. I was planning to explain how by blaming a victim we are condoning rape. For instance, when we say that someone who was wearing skimpy clothing deserves more blame than someone wearing modest clothing, we are saying that one rape is more socially acceptable than the other and while we still condemn the rapes, we condone one slightly more than the other.