EE and HI

Slothuus

I have my topic ready for the Historical Investigation - the Extended Essay is bugging me a bit more.

What I want to write about is the entrance of the Progress Party in the Danish landslide election in 1973 and I would actually like to write about it in both HI and EE, but how closely related can the topics be?

In theory your EE and HI will go to different examiners. So in theory you can write about the same topic but I think for the sake of variety, as well as encouraging you to look at different areas of history, they dont recommend it. HOWEVER I think you'll have to write about different aspects of that topic. Like you can't, say write about the reasons for the entrance of the Progress Party in the Danish landslide election in 1973 in both EE and HI and just make the EE longer.

If still in doubt though, check with IBC/history teacher/someone who knows what they're doing about EE and History IA

[quote name='HMSChocolate' post='14722' date='Apr 9 2008, 09:08 AM']In theory your EE and HI will go to different examiners. So in theory you can write about the same topic but I think for the sake of variety, as well as encouraging you to look at different areas of history, they dont recommend it. HOWEVER I think you'll have to write about different aspects of that topic. Like you can't, say write about the reasons for the entrance of the Progress Party in the Danish landslide election in 1973 in both EE and HI and just make the EE longer.

If still in doubt though, check with IBC/history teacher/someone who knows what they're doing about EE and History IA[/quote]

Thanks. My History teacher said that it was fine to do both on the same topic area, but not on the exact same topic/question. However, since the election was the most important in Danish history, there are loads of other aspects to consider. I was just wondering whether I could get a slight advantage in terms of less reading etc.

• 1 month later...

My teacher recommended that we do completely different time periods and subject areas, simply because it gives us more knowledge. Also try to pick topics that could help you answer exam questions at the end of IB.

For example, my EE topic was Stalin's culpability for the failure of the Red Army to hold the Molotov Line in 1941, and my teacher advised me not to do anything about Russia/USSR or WWII for my HI.

I've a feeling it's just his personal preference, however I would advise you not to write about the Danish election of 1973 again. It's highly, highly, highly unlikely it won't be on the exam. Also, if the examiner who marks one happens to have a record of the titles of papers you've submitted to IBO, they'll see you've only had to do in-depth research on one topic for two papers. They might not have to read both papers to know that.

Actually, it might be better to write about a very specific event that is not related to the syllabus because in that way it will not be compared to thousands of other papers which talk exactly about the same topic, and this would increase your chances of getting the highest grades