Sick during IB

thehaikubandit

So I was wondering if anyone else had been sick during the IB and how it affected them. I know that I annoyed my Japanese teacher to no end because somehow (not on purpose, I would have missed maths...) all my appointments ended up in her class or tutorial time. I did miss some extensive tutorials and BSSS (state) exams due to quarantine at the end of last year but most of my grades were approximated and I worked to catch up what I missed. But, I think I got off pretty lightly, so I fired I'd ask other stories.

It's not my story exactly but somebody I know was sick during their actual IB exams and had to sit in an isolated room away from everybody else, pausing occasionally to throw up into a bucket, on account of the IBO's excuse-what-does-that-even-mean? policy on exam allowances. Unsurprisingly they didn't do well and took a year off to resit.

• Like 1

i got pretty sick last year about 2 weeks before i was due to write my exams and i was actually in hospital while the rest of my year were writing their exams...i've taken a this year off to write my exams, i'm actually writing Maths in a few days and the rest in November. I know you can't help not being sick during exams, but try not to get sick, it totally messed up my life :/

Luckily I am doing alright now, but last year I was diagnosed with an autoimmune condition and so had to go to a lot of appointments. Then, right in time for end of year assessment I managed to get measles... On the plus side I learnt a lot about the immune system and was able to find some CAS hours when I had to shave my head. But yeah, sick for exams would be terrible, I am really, really hoping against that one.

Hey fellow Aussie! I was only at school for one term in yr 11 and 12 due to being is hospital for so long. Suprisingly their were about 6 IBers that got very sick through the IB. It was offered to me to do a split exam session, in which I did one exam Psych last Nov and the rest this May. However not all 6 of us were offered this, only two. Due to Marks etc. Im glad I got this opportunity but tbh I haven't even started studying and the exams are next week... and unlike my peers, I ve had to teach myself all the subjects. But I would recommend the split session if you're still sick, its just like a half gap year. Anywho good luck and rest up!

Sometimes (depending on how sick) it's best to do a split session or take the exams in November. It may sound really awful, but sometimes it's better to wait a little longer to finish and do better than do them now and not necessarily do as well because you're sick.

Hope you feel better soon :)

How is it possible to wait and doing your exams later, I mean, like the post above?

Actually its very possible. Your coordinator will speak to IB about deferring your exams. If the IB accept what is wrong with you (after much deliberation) they will defer your exams but your keep your IA marks and all you have to do is write the sitting exams.