Insect recognition help!

Jasmeena

Someone please heelp me :o

So, this isn't connected to IB (not directly, but indirectly yes - I need this insect to base my investigations on) but this is my last resort and I'm really desperate. So, we're at the seaside, my family and I, and I saw this small black insect (thick, but not like a fly - thinner than a fly) which looked like a small dragonfly and it flew in a specific geometrical pattern. I would like to draw it, but I can't remember it exactly. I just know that it flew galantly like it was just gliding though the air with making no sound.

Please, if anyone knew what type of an insect that was, I would be more than grateful!

PS. I live in Croatia, so the climate is... mediteranean or sth. So no exotic insects and stuff..

Pleaseeee! Any help welcome!

Thanks. Yes, the insect was small and hairy and it was really dark, but I don't think it was as big as this dragonfly (I Googled). It was the size of a... well, smaller than a fly. Like two times smaller :S. But thanks. If it flies the way I said this one did, it could be of some help too :)

Yes, unlike flies the odonates (dragonflies and damselflies) have 4 wings that they can control individually. This gives them astonishing aerial manoeuvrability, and they are the only insects that can fly backwards as well as hover. But to my knowledge even the damselflies are much bigger than houseflies!

Here is a winged insect identifier that you may find helpful:

http://www.insectide...-insect-key.asp