Chemistry SL vs. Biology SL

Darta Jenn Bush

Hello everyone!

Firstly, I'd like to apologize for the time I've chosen to ask this question.

Secondly, good luck to all in the last year in their exams!

And finally, I'm just finishing up pre-IB course and I have to hand in my subject choice in two weeks, I have already chosen subjects from all groups except Group 4 (Experimental sciences). I am terrible at physics (and I do mean TERRIBLE), and because I'm not planning to study anything related to this group I must choose 1 subject from the two that remain as options in my case - Biology or Chemistry (SL, of course). And I'd be really thankful if you could tell me from your experience which one is easier to handle? The rest of my choices are pretty tough already, so I just need to fill the requirement with the subject I can get through less painfully. Thanks in advance! :)

chemistry is more conceptual while bio is more memorization. But chem is not that difficult. You just have to study as such is the case in IB.

If you don't need chem or bio in your career, I suggest you do bio. Personally, I think Bio is easier than chemistry

• Like 1

Think of which one of these courses would give you a boost or more help towards preparing you for the program you wish to take in university.

Chemistry SL: A lot of new concepts. Some basic maths are applied.

Biology SL: Lots of memorization for new terminology, so a LOT of definitions to remember. (And here in Canada, SL Biology is slightly lower than the normal Ontario curriculum).

I am currently taking both of these classes at standard level and for me personally, I find Chemistry harder.

• Like 1

I can tell you personally that Biology SL is easier than Chemistry SL. I find that Biology SL is not that much harder than a British Pre-IB course called GCSEs/O-Levels, and it's just memorizing terminology. Chemistry SL I find from looking at the SL syllabus is quite easy too, but there is more 'new' content to be learnt and it requires some mathematical skills (for calculations, etc.)

I'd look at it in a different way: which subject are you most interested in? (Even if you're not going to continue studying it.) Last year when I was picking my options, I went through my school's IB textbooks to see which subjects I'd prefer to study and it really helped me.

But on the whole, Biology SL is easier. (ESS is also another option if your school offers it.)

• Like 1

If you have no interest in science at all, do bio. It's basically like history: memorize everything. However, "IB Bio" has this weird ethics policy (at least at my school) that everyone has to learn and their labs are SO boring. Chem, on the other hand, is really fun and I think it's potentially less work in the long run, however, the material is harder, no doubt about that.

• Like 1