How often do Orals/WLs get moderated down?

ro_1293x

So my exams are coming up so obviously all my work was submitted ages ago, but I was reading the May 2009 subject report for English A1 and I was surprised by how many faults they seem to find with IOCs and Word Lit Essays. I couldn't actually gauge whether or not those points would apply to be but from what the report said they see the same sort of issues year after year, which could still hold true now.

I got a 7 in both my IOC and IOP And I'm sort of depending on that to not go down just in case I screw up my Papers. And my teacher didn't really tell me what she thinks I'd get in my WLs... but what are the chances of IOCs getting marked down and WLs being comparitvely low for who is usually considered a 'strong' student?

Anyone have any experience of their school getting marked way off of what they expected? My school isn't exactly one of those centre's noticed for their brilliance... especially in English.

Thank you :)

The moderation of the IOC's depends on the samples they select. If (hypothetically) your teacher has 10-15 favourites, and she gave them 1-2 more marks than IB feels they deserved (and, by some huge coincidence, they get selected for moderation), then you'll be moderated 1-2 points down. If your teacher was spot-on, then you won't be moderated. It's all about how close the grades your teacher gives for the moderated samples correlate with those that the examiners give.

As for WL, I was under the impression that your teacher isn't supposed to even touch those with her pen, though she is theoretically allowed to include them as a mark on your report card if you're also doing another curriculum alongside IB as I am, and she's not allowed to tell you what she thinks you would get. Either way ,you don't know what she thinks you'd get, so technically the whole moderated part doesn't come into play here.

Finally, the idea of you being a strong student is either yours, your teacher's or both. IB doesn't know about your teacher's opinion of you, though they could theoretically judge it if they listened to the tone of your teacher while questioning you on your IOP. They care about how well you do on those 3 assignments that they mark: WL1/2, and the IOC. If you did poorly on any of them, it doesn't matter how strong of a student you are in general, you will get marked accordingly.

Also, I'm willing to bet $90 that my school is going to get massacred on WL (for the first time in its 30 years with IB, I think) because our IB1 teacher wasn't really... an IB teacher XD

Goodbye to my predicted 6 :(

Edited by SSJ5Goku

My school gets moderated down in English every year. Actually we get moderated down in all subjects except for economics where the lowest IA marks were moderated up. For example my English teacher gave people 6s and 7s on the IOP last session, and after moderation, nobody got higher than a 5 on the IOP. Kind of sad seeing as the IOP is supposed to be the easy part of English...

It depends on the school and the subject obviously, I mean some schools are right on with their marking and IB only moderates +/- 1-2 points, but in other schools/subjects IAs are marked down harshly. Sadly it's more likely that you'll be moderated down than up.

The best thing to do is to ask your English teacher if the IAs from previous years usually get moderated up or down, and if so, ask by how much. This will give you a better idea of how you'll be moderated.

My school gets moderated down in English every year. Actually we get moderated down in all subjects except for economics where the lowest IA marks were moderated up. For example my English teacher gave people 6s and 7s on the IOP last session, and after moderation, nobody got higher than a 5 on the IOP. Kind of sad seeing as the IOP is supposed to be the easy part of English...

It depends on the school and the subject obviously, I mean some schools are right on with their marking and IB only moderates +/- 1-2 points, but in other schools/subjects IAs are marked down harshly. Sadly it's more likely that you'll be moderated down than up.

The best thing to do is to ask your English teacher if the IAs from previous years usually get moderated up or down, and if so, ask by how much. This will give you a better idea of how you'll be moderated.

Our old english teacher left so the new one has no idea about anything and it's actually her first year as an IB teacher, but she is amazing when it comes to the subject. I mean I definitely think our HL class has grown since she's been teaching us but then again, she doesn't necessarily have experience with the IB's grading :S ah.

And I realized after writing this that yeah WLs won't get marked at schools. My teacher didn't tell me how well she thought I would do. She just said my first one is good, my second one is like average.

Wait so only a sample of IOCs go? I always thought they all did... crap.

The moderation of the IOC's depends on the samples they select. If (hypothetically) your teacher has 10-15 favourites, and she gave them 1-2 more marks than IB feels they deserved (and, by some huge coincidence, they get selected for moderation), then you'll be moderated 1-2 points down. If your teacher was spot-on, then you won't be moderated. It's all about how close the grades your teacher gives for the moderated samples correlate with those that the examiners give.

As for WL, I was under the impression that your teacher isn't supposed to even touch those with her pen, though she is theoretically allowed to include them as a mark on your report card if you're also doing another curriculum alongside IB as I am, and she's not allowed to tell you what she thinks you would get. Either way ,you don't know what she thinks you'd get, so technically the whole moderated part doesn't come into play here.

Finally, the idea of you being a strong student is either yours, your teacher's or both. IB doesn't know about your teacher's opinion of you, though they could theoretically judge it if they listened to the tone of your teacher while questioning you on your IOP. They care about how well you do on those 3 assignments that they mark: WL1/2, and the IOC. If you did poorly on any of them, it doesn't matter how strong of a student you are in general, you will get marked accordingly.

Also, I'm willing to bet $90 that my school is going to get massacred on WL (for the first time in its 30 years with IB, I think) because our IB1 teacher wasn't really... an IB teacher XD

Goodbye to my predicted 6 :(

Ergh. Our class is only about 10 students total. Our HL english and SL english classes have different teachers. Unforunately I am a favorite. And she gave me 7s on my mock english papers and I couldn't believe it because it was the first time we were taking a mock for paper 2 and my commentary writing depends upon how much I like the passage...

By the way, I know this off topic so I apologize but how did you get a predicted TOK and EE score? Our teacher's told us nothing. Our coordinators just randomly predicted most of the class 2 or 1 bonus points depending on how 'good' the student usually is.