What subjects to choose for Computing at Imperial, UCL, Cambridge

pskou

Hi, i am going for the IB1 and i have to choose my courses in the next 2 weeks.

I want to study computer science in Uk , aiming at Imperial , ucl, cambridge.

Can you recommend what lesson are appropriate for entrance?

In their website , they say of course, Maths Hl, which is ok for me and 2 others relevant.

so I am planning to have

maths hl, physics hl, english hl

and for the others economics sl, modern greek -native language Sl and i am between FRENCH and chemistry what do you suggest.

French is easy for me but maybe if I take one more science course wll make stronger my application?

Unfortunately in my school Computers is not offered.

Thanks for your answers.

Well since you are applying for a competitive course at really challenging universities you have to understand that your coursework during the IB has to be equally demanding. Math HL and Physics HL should definitely be chosen but as a third HL I would suggest a second science (preferably Chemistry HL). These universities do state that they want their applicants to have demanding subjects and these three highers will give you just that. For SL go with Economics, Modern Greek and English and you should be just fine. Of course bear in mind that you should be confident that you will do well in these subjects and you should aim for at least 41-42/42 if you are interested in Cambridge. For UCL and Imperial you could be considered with a 38-39/42 so it is not really that hard. If you don't think you will do well with these three highers then definitely avoid them and stick with Math HL and Physics HL but my suggestion is not to have a language as your third higher but Economics instead.

By the way, since you are starting the IB in September how can your exams be in May 2013?

• Like 1

hi, really thanks for answering .

My final exams definitely, are May 2014 (ib1 2012-2013, ib2 2013-2014).

From what i have heard two sciences HL are very much demanding!!!! and i do not really love so highly Chemistry .

If we leave apart Cambridge

and consider Imperial , your suggestion wouldn' be the same, as i saw... So if take Econ. HL , i could drop Chemistry at all? or do i have to have in my diploma 2 sciences?

and if i think of the other universities in computers that are in the top10 in Uk , like Bath. again you think i shouldn't take English high? You didn;t mention anything about French: easy lesson ..easy points..

thanks for your time...

Edited by pskou

For Computer Science, you definitely need Maths HL. The top unis prefer other science subjects so Physics HL should be good. I don't think you need Chemistry HL. You're right. The workload for 2 sciences is far too much and you don't need it for Computer Science. I suggest you take Economics HL instead of that and take Chemistry as SL or something.

Jirashimosu has made some excellent observations with which I entirely agree.

Personally, I would recommend that you stay with Maths, Physics and English as your 3 HLs, with Economics, Greek and Chemistry at SL. Chemistry is not very relevant to Computer Science, whereas English HL is also demanding, and will demonstrate excellence in the language of instruction at these universities, even though it is not your native tongue.

It's no loss that your school does not offer Computer Science in Group 5.

• Like 1

Chemistry is not very relevant to Computer Science, whereas English HL is also demanding, and will demonstrate excellence in the language of instruction at these universities, even though it is not your native tongue.

It's no loss that your school does not offer Computer Science in Group 5.

Still though, Chemistry is closer to Mathematics and universities like Imperial and Cambridge are looking for applicants with confidence and good skills in Maths and Science. A language as a third HL is really not that beneficial - especially when you are competing with kids doing Maths, Furthers Maths, Physics at A level. I think that a challenging coursework will be hard to deal with but will also prove to be quite beneficial considering how competitive an applicant can appear to universities with these highers.

I quote Cambridge:

"Are you inclined towards the sciences?

If you think you would like to study a science course at university but you are not sure which one, then

you are advised to take at least two, and ideally three, of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and

Physics. Some pairings of these subjects are more natural than others. The most natural pairs are

Biology and Chemistry, Chemistry and Physics, and Mathematics and Physics.

In practice the vast majority of applicants for science courses at Cambridge take at least three of these

subjects. Another useful combination is Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Physics. Many

students take four of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Physics."

http://www.study.cam...jectmatters.pdf

Also take a look at the page devoted on Computer Science: http://www.study.cam...psci/index.html

Some colleges (like Christ's) actually say "

Three science/mathematics subjects required" and others state that they want "strong mathematical ability". When you are applying with predicted grades the only way to demonstrate your skills in Maths is not only through Maths HL but also through other sciences - again something English HL could not help you with.

• Like 1

I was given an offer for Joint Mathematics and Computing at Imperial College with the subjects you see in my signature. They requested 7 in Maths HL, 7 in Chemistry HL and 5 in English A2 HL with a total score of 41. That should give you an idea about what they want. Also, if you're given an interview they will make you solve problems in order to make sure that you know enough Maths and that you have some problem solving skills.

• Like 1

Given that they're going to be asking for very high predictions and that you're already taking HL Maths so English will show that you have a rounded set of skills as well as being good at Maths, I would stick with your original set or (as was mentioned) move Economics up to HL as that involves a bit more mathematical stuff.

I wouldn't take Chemistry unless you have some other compelling reason because I don't think it's necessary and it'll make your HLs much harder! Unless you have a passion for Chemistry, I'd take it at SL (rather than French). At the end of the day if you fulfil their minimum requirements for essential subjects then they care a whole lot more about your personal statement and interview than they do about any extra subjects you may have.

Also, your english doesn't seem very fluent (?) in your posts so I'm assuming you'd be studying English B at HL? In which case definitely switch up Economics because it looks a whole lot better than a B language and has some mathematical relevance!

• Like 2

I was given an offer for Joint Mathematics and Computing at Imperial College with the subjects you see in my signature. They requested 7 in Maths HL, 7 in Chemistry HL and 5 in English A2 HL with a total score of 41. That should give you an idea about what they want. Also, if you're given an interview they will make you solve problems in order to make sure that you know enough Maths and that you have some problem solving skills.

Hi, thanks for answering.

I would like to ask you in which other universities you had applied for computer science and what were your criteria for taking these specific decisions?

thanks again for your time!

Edited by pskou

• 2 weeks later...