Sign in to follow this  

Organic Chem.

Can someone please please explain the mechanisms part of organic chemistry to me? As in addition reaction and all that jazz.

Try this file: [url="http://www.mwiseman.com/courses/chem_ib/notes/organic/OrganicReactions.doc"]http://www.mwiseman.com/courses/chem_ib/no...icReactions.doc[/url]
It really sums everything up.

Good luck!

the mechanism is just the step-by-step drawing of how the reation is going to occur. it is the part where you show your curly arrows.
likke in a free radical type of reaction in UV light you would use curly arrows to show where the free radical was going to.

As others have said, a mechanism in organic chemistry simply refers to the sequence of molecular events that take place in the conversion of the reactant into the product. Depending on the kinetics and rate order, a mechanism can occur by many steps, each representing a potential well in the reaction coordinate, and thus corresponding to intermediates. Generally in organic chemistry, most reactions involve either a Bronstad-Lowry/Lewis acid or base and proceed by SN1, SN2, E1, or E2 mechanisms (i.e. monomolecular/biomolecular nucleophilic substitution/elimination, respectively). Obviously, each functional group is going to represent unique chemical properties on which reagents will act, and thus if you can narrow your question down to a specific area, (i.e. carbonyl chemistry, or alcohols, etc.) it would be more helpful.