Knowledge issues with theories

eelnedross

Hello, IBS.

My essay title has to deal with theories and truth. How do you think that i should direct it? Are the natural sciencies and history good AOK to consider for the essay? How do you think that i can relate it to WOK? Could it be, that we perceive something with our senses and then we starting theorizing about it?

Thank you!

Hello, IBS.

My essay title has to deal with theories and truth. How do you think that i should direct it? Are the natural sciencies and history good AOK to consider for the essay? How do you think that i can relate it to WOK? Could it be, that we perceive something with our senses and then we starting theorizing about it?

Thank you!

If you have been set a title, make sure that you are directly answering what the question is asking for (look out for the command words in title). If you have been given the themes of 'theories' and 'truth' to explore, I think that the two AoKs are perfect for discussion.

You can easily bring in the WoKs if you understand the methodology behind each AoK i.e. the way in which each AoK finds truth. For example, for the natural sciences you could look into the scientific method and how it uses inductive reasoning to obtain evidence to support a certain hypothesis. To answer the last question, I think an individual must have something to go on (evidence/ideas) before they can theorise (reason), this may be obtained from sense perception but it could equally be obtained from language or emotions; iIt is then used as the building blocks (premises/assumptions) for theories.

• Like 1

Hello, IBS.

Thank you!

If you have been set a title, make sure that you are directly answering what the question is asking for (look out for the command words in title). If you have been given the themes of 'theories' and 'truth' to explore, I think that the two AoKs are perfect for discussion.

You can easily bring in the WoKs if you understand the methodology behind each AoK i.e. the way in which each AoK finds truth. For example, for the natural sciences you could look into the scientific method and how it uses inductive reasoning to obtain evidence to support a certain hypothesis. To answer the last question, I think an individual must have something to go on (evidence/ideas) before they can theorise (reason), this may be obtained from sense perception but it could equally be obtained from language or emotions; iIt is then used as the building blocks (premises/assumptions) for theories.

Alright, thank you very much!

I still have other questions though. Is it too common for me to state that historians often change the context of a theory and modify it in order to pursue a certain purpose? Also, I wanted to give it an emphasis on the way language works in order to make a theory more feasible.

Alright, thank you very much!

I still have other questions though. Is it too common for me to state that historians often change the context of a theory and modify it in order to pursue a certain purpose? Also, I wanted to give it an emphasis on the way language works in order to make a theory more feasible.

It is true that personal bias clouds the outcome of rational processes however I don't think it fits the main idea of what you are trying to discuss and that is basically answering the question of how theories are developed. You could of course change the focus altogether and discuss the limitations of theories, this would make the issue appropriate.

• Like 1

Could you maybe expand on your idea a little? How do you intend to explore whether theories can limit our pursuit of knowledge?

Not at all, questioning is part of the process.

I wanted to state that when we have a certain theory or idea about something/process, we can accept that theory as "truth" and stop doing more research on the topic to be closer to the truth.

Could you maybe expand on your idea a little? How do you intend to explore whether theories can limit our pursuit of knowledge?

Not at all, questioning is part of the process.

I wanted to state that when we have a certain theory or idea about something/process, we can accept that theory as "truth" and stop doing more research on the topic to be closer to the truth.

We accept the most appealing theory available, this is usually determined by the credibility of the theory (namely the reliability of the method used to create the theory and the evidence supporting it). Moreover, a theory is better than no theory at all. You should do some reading on scientific theories because they face the same problem since it is impossible to ever prove one. How do you know a theory isn't a reflection of the truth? Since we don't know what truth is, we can't compare, thus we accept that all theories are valid until proven false.