Physics EE, help?

Jasmeena

So, I've decided to do an EE in physics because it's by far my favourite subject and I'm having second thoughts about the topic. Can someone help me elaborate the topics and choose the most appropriate one? Please?

1. Measuring the speed of sound in water using light: "What are the factors that affect the speed of sound in liquids?" or "What are the factors that should be considered when measuring the speed of sound in liquids using light?"

2. Skateboarding tricks: "360 hardflip is known as one of the hardest tricks in skateboarding. Let's investigate the physics behind it and find out why is it so hard." or "How does the feet position in the end of the skateboarding trick affect the success of the trick itself?"

3. Biomechanics of karate: "Breaking is an action where a martial artist uses a striking surface to break one or more objects using the skills honed in their art form. What's the physics behind it?" or "The factors that should be considered in when improving karate master's skills to break a brick."

I know I want to do one of them, but I also know that my questions aren't elaborated enough and now I'm stuck and I don't know what else to do... Please help?

To be honest, the thing that would make me really happy is if I would be able to do skateboarding tricks, or biomechanics of karate. I'm more... well, present in that areas, XD. But the questions are bugging me. Are they good enough? What should I do?

Thank you in advance!

I don't want to discourage you if you are keen on options 2 or 3, but the biomechanics can be complex and, unless you have access to a high-speed camera, it could be rather difficult to do quantitative experimental work for these studies.

In the case of option 1, if you have a novel way of measuring the speed of sound in liquids I would suggest concentrating on the physics and testing of the method itself. That should give you plenty of scope for challenging experimental work and critical analysis, without embarking on a bigger programme measuring how the speed varies with water temperature, pressure or salinity. The research question should explain clearly in what way your method uses light.

• Like 1