Right answer - lose marks for no working?

Guest Loco Mo Mo

Guest Loco Mo Mo

Hi,

I probably should've asked you this before but whatever. In the exams, do you lose marks if you get the answer right (using the GDC) but show no working on the paper? Instead, just writing 'GDC used' next to the answer.

I tend to do this for finance questions using the finance app and I'm worried about losing marks :S

Thanks

Depends on the paper. For paper one you have a choice to show your working, you can score full marks just for giving the right answer, however to score full marks on paper 2 you must show how you came to found that otherwise you get a fraction of marks.

Paper 1 is more lenient towards the working, for Paper 2 you really need to show your working. Also, when you see that a question carries 1 mark, it's usually enough just to answer it. Questions carrying 2 or 3 will probably require some working. Sometimes this is really basic that it's a shame if you lose points on it.

ie. If you're asked to substitute x into a function and find y, you're probably going to get one point for simply writing the function with the x value substituted.

For finance, I usually write the equation (whihc is provided in the booklet) with the substituted values, do it on my own, and then check it with the finance app to be sure.

I don't know specifically for each Paper, but I know that in SL there are 'method marks' so even if you get the wrong answer, if you utilized the right method you can get marks for it.

It really depends on the question, not all of them have method marks.