Maths SL Final Grade Expectations

utiii :D

I've been reading around here for the past few days and the general opinion tends to be that this years Paper 1 was much easier compared to previous years whilst the Paper 2 was ridiculously difficult. A lot of people seem to be stressed/worried regarding their grade for this course, and i'm no different. With the amount of studying I did I was aiming for a 7. However, after completing Paper 2, I am now concerned regarding my chances of achieving a 6. I was wondering what people think the grade boundaries will be for this session? In my opinion, they should be lower than previous years considering the difficulty of the second paper. After estimating my marks, I expect to get 75/90 in paper 1, 52/90 in paper 2 (completely blanked out on this unfortunately, my confidence was drained around half way through the paper as I was struggling quite badly) along with a 25/40 in my IA's. Do you think this is enough to receive a 6? I don't tend to dwell on marks to much but considering I was getting 7's in tests throughout the course I am quite worried regarding my final mark for this particular subject :hmmm:

[quote name=utiii :D' timestamp='1336391409' post='159497]

I've been reading around here for the past few days and the general opinion tends to be that this years Paper 1 was much easier compared to previous years whilst the Paper 2 was ridiculously difficult. A lot of people seem to be stressed/worried regarding their grade for this course, and i'm no different. With the amount of studying I did I was aiming for a 7. However, after completing Paper 2, I am now concerned regarding my chances of achieving a 6. I was wondering what people think the grade boundaries will be for this session? In my opinion, they should be lower than previous years considering the difficulty of the second paper. After estimating my marks, I expect to get 75/90 in paper 1, 52/90 in paper 2 (completely blanked out on this unfortunately, my confidence was drained around half way through the paper as I was struggling quite badly) along with a 25/40 in my IA's. Do you think this is enough to receive a 6? I don't tend to dwell on marks to much but considering I was getting 7's in tests throughout the course I am quite worried regarding my final mark for this particular subject :hmmm:

The mark boundaries and curve for paper 2 will most likely go down. I think you have hope of getting a 6, otherwise, it is a minimum 5.

Don't let it get too much to you though! Don't give up hope and excel in your other subjects! It is not the end of the world :) . RISE and show the IB what you're really made of in the next few coming exams.

I studied my behind off for math, using about 80% of my study leave on it. Paper one went fine although i blanked, causing me to get max. 40/90 i presume. But paper 2 was a disaster, i had a ridiculously high fever and at first when i read the paper i was like "damn this is easy" but of course when i got to the questions, i knew nothing. Then i panicked, as embarrassing as it is i think i reached max 20/90 or something and it was so bad i even crossed over the work i had done causing me to not even get method points...

I cried when i got home for two days in a row, mainly cause of the fear of getting a 1 and failing my diploma cause of this! I'm still upset. I got 35/40 for my portfolio though.. does anyone know how likely it is that i might actually get a 1?? Im so scared :( I don't plan to do anything related to math in the future so it's not the end of the world for me if i get bad on it, i just really really want to graduate! I have sevens and six's in everything else, it would be the end of my world for everything to be for nothing just cause of math. And don't give me the "it's not the end of the world you can redue in november!", the humiliation of not being able to graduate with my class and having to sit in the audience... my worst nightmare.

Edited by Ms. Procrastinator

Guest CasaNova

haha..you will not get 1... if you have 35/40 that means you already have 15% + 20% P1 and some 10% P2 that is 45%(grade 4 most probably..) :D

Really? I thought Paper 2 went so much better than Paper 1, which was a tragic disaster. >.< I was aiming for a 7. My IA was 38...after the test, I'm thinking 5-6, maybe 7? Aish. I wish I could stop hoping so when I do get my score, I won't be crushed. XD

I studied my behind off for math, using about 80% of my study leave on it. Paper one went fine although i blanked, causing me to get max. 40/90 i presume. But paper 2 was a disaster, i had a ridiculously high fever and at first when i read the paper i was like "damn this is easy" but of course when i got to the questions, i knew nothing. Then i panicked, as embarrassing as it is i think i reached max 20/90 or something and it was so bad i even crossed over the work i had done causing me to not even get method points...

I cried when i got home for two days in a row, mainly cause of the fear of getting a 1 and failing my diploma cause of this! I'm still upset. I got 35/40 for my portfolio though.. does anyone know how likely it is that i might actually get a 1?? Im so scared :( I don't plan to do anything related to math in the future so it's not the end of the world for me if i get bad on it, i just really really want to graduate! I have sevens and six's in everything else, it would be the end of my world for everything to be for nothing just cause of math. And don't give me the "it's not the end of the world you can redue in november!", the humiliation of not being able to graduate with my class and having to sit in the audience... my worst nightmare.

You get a 1 for writing down your name. You get a 2 for writing down your candidate number and your name.

How badly do you have to do to fail? People say its really hard to fail sl math but I got max 30/90 for paper 1 and completely blanked on paper 2 ( 15/90 tops.. ) and have about 22/40 for the portfolio... Am I in risk of failing?

Guest CasaNova

i think no.. you need at least 30% to be sure that you will not fail.. yyou already have around 30 :D

my expect 3.. and i hope for 4(low chances)