P=NP? Maths HL Extended Essay

musashi

Greetings Internet

I have been told that that attempting to do a Maths Extended essay is equivalent to choosing to pour hydrochloric acid onto your own eyes. However, I am doing one anyway. I have tentatively chosen a topic and would like some feedback.

Subject area: Maths

Topic: P=NP

Question/statement (this can be modified; I understand that it is not brilliant): Mathematical evidence to suggest that the game Battleships as NP-complete problem.

Method: I was considering modifying the method used to prove that minesweeper is NP-complete; since battleships is a different game completely, I think that it would be different enough from the original method for the IBO to accept it.

Regards

The Agathokakologicalist

Greetings Internet

I have been told that that attempting to do a Maths Extended essay is equivalent to choosing to pour hydrochloric acid onto your own eyes. However, I am doing one anyway. I have tentatively chosen a topic and would like some feedback.

Subject area: Maths

Topic: P=NP

Question/statement (this can be modified; I understand that it is not brilliant): Mathematical evidence to suggest that the game Battleships as NP-complete problem.

Method: I was considering modifying the method used to prove that minesweeper is NP-complete; since battleships is a different game completely, I think that it would be different enough from the original method for the IBO to accept it.

Regards

The Agathokakologicalist

When I read your title I thought you were going to try to solve the P vs. NP problem :P Either way, unless you are attempting to solve that problem (which I doubt) I'd recommend keeping your main focus away from that. Focus on the NP-completeness of Battleship and by all means mention the P = NP problem, but don't make it your main focus.

• 1 month later...

An EE in Mathematics isn't as scary as people make it sound. I did mine in Mathematics and got an A and I didn't even have a supervisor (well, I did have one but the only thing he'd tell me is which headings to underline and which to make bold.. -__- )

I realised that communication is of paramount importance in a mathematics EE. While you wouldn't write an entire essay in plain english, don't load it with mathematical jargon. And if you do use any terms or symbols, make sure you define what each of them means.

Choosing to prove the game as an NP-complete problem would make quite an interesting topic. And there would be enough content coming out of it for you to write up a complete extended essay without dragging the same points over and over again.

Just keep it simple and communicate. Make your essay readable, and not just mathematical mumbo jumbo and you will score high.

• Like 1