Please, I really need some help with my IA survey!

Mats Sveindal

Hi! :bye:

I really need some help regarding my IA in Math Studies.

My topic is 'Is there a connection between Christian youths beliefs and their parents religious beliefs in Kristiansand?'

The survey consisted of 7 questions with different options so that you could mark the one that fitted. I delivered it to about 70 people at the Christian gatherings at the four public school in town. Now that I have got the answers back, I am not sure what to do with them. I don't know how many of my questions that is relevant and how many I should use... I am thinking of using the Chi-Squared test and other statistical processes, but I don't know what to do.

The questions I asked was (translated from Norwegian to English) :

1. Do you consider yourself a Christian?

2. Where in the country did you grow up? (where have you lived the most years of your life)

3. Is one or both of your parents Christian?

4. Is one or both of your parents active in the following activities in the church/congregation?

5. What Christian activities did your parents bring you to as a child?

6. To what extend do you think your parents' beliefs have influenced your personal religious beliefs?

7. Which church do you belong to? (feel most connected to)

Help had been very much appriciated!

I feel like questions 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 are all irrelevant.

You are testing the connection between a youth having christian beliefs and their parents having christian beliefs.

Question 1 tells you if the youth thinks them self christian, and question 3 tells you if their parent(s) are. This should be enough to find a connection.

You can simply compare these in a contengency table that is only 4x4

one side has "parents are christian, parents are not christian" other side would have "youth is christian, youth is not christian"...