A Quick Question about Paper 2

MagicSophie

Okay, just a fast question.

What does the IB mean by "regions"?

Or, more specifically, I have been looking at some past questions for the Cold War and the Single-Party States, and many questions ask that you discuss at least two countries from two different regions.

What does this mean exactly?

For instance, I would be inclined to discuss the rules of Stalin and Hitler, because these are the ones I know best, but are Germany and Russia in the same "region"?

Any help is appreciated.

Quoted from a 2011 past paper:

"Where the word region is used in questions in this paper, it refers, unless otherwise defined, to the four regions which are the basis of the regional studies for Higher Level Paper 3."

i.e. The Americas, Europe (inc. Russia/USSR), Asia and Oceania, Africa and the Middle East

I didn't think they ask Single-Party State questions about two leaders from different regions, but rather either two from the same political alignment (right or left) or one right and one left. For the Cold War they can ask for comparison of leaders from different region.

I think. Correct me if I'm wrong lol.

No, they can and do ask about single-state leaders from different regions, in addition to political alignments. In that case you would not be permitted to chose Stalin/Lenin and Hitler, you would have to opt for Mao for example. Russia and Egypt are part of Europe according to the IB

The map of the different regions should be printed on the cover page of the paper, if you're unsure on the day.

I agree with Eastcoast93, they definitely can and do ask about dictators from different regions.

Just had another look, and I stand corrected on my second statement. This was from Nov 2011:

“The rise to power of authoritarian or single-party leaders depended upon the use of force rather than popular support.” With reference to two leaders, each chosen from a different region, to what extent do you agree with this statement?"

When I made a plan for this I looked at Hitler and Mao, while a friend did Stalin and Mao.

Apologies.