Has anybody bought the revision books from www.osc-ib.com (or somewhere else) and found them useful?

Gemini

Hi people!

A friend and I are thinking about buying revision guide books for Biology and History, and I was wondering if anybody has bought books from www.osc-ib-com and found them useful and helpful while revision for their exams?

Or you might’ve bought books from somewhere else?

Anyways, do anybody know of revision books/guide that are worth spending money on?

Thanks

Laura :)

Guest Loco Mo Mo

Hi people!

A friend and I are thinking about buying revision guide books for Biology and History, and I was wondering if anybody has bought books from www.osc-ib-com and found them useful and helpful while revision for their exams?

Anyways, do anybody know of revision books/guide that are worth spending money on?

Thanks

Hi,

I don't know about Biology but I bought three revision guides for History (Cold War, SPS and Paper 3). In my opinion, they're generally helpful as you get condensed and simplified information. One really good thing is that they provide you with model answers to common essay questions.

However, the SPS is rather superfluous and is poorly structured so it's difficult to find what you're looking for. It's more a long list of things the rulers did.

They are quite expensive so I'd opt to perhaps buy some used ones. But that's just my opinion.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

I have the bio books for both HL and SL. It really narrows them down quickly so I went through every chapter and highlighted all the stuff that is most relevant and important. Its better than reading the textbook which takes forever.

Another thing that was really useful was powerpoints that we read online by Stephen Taylor. Instead of using a textbook those powerpoints and the OSC revision book was our entire two years of IB.

• Like 1

the Allot study for Biology is amazing. I would highly reccomend it. You can buy it from Oxford University Press, although that might just be in Australia? Check out Amazon or Fishpond as well.

Oh, and personally, i don't think that a history guide would be helpful at all. I find that the people who succeed in history are the ones who can write an essay, so focus your energy there. That's just my opinion, though. I do have a really good teacher for History, and if yours isn't very competent then maybe a guide would be a good idea.

Edited by nanon
  • Like 1

the Allot study for Biology is amazing. I would highly reccomend it. You can buy it from Oxford University Press, although that might just be in Australia? Check out Amazon or Fishpond as well.

I also use the Allot guide for Biology but I bought it from amazon. It's really good. I know a few of my class members bought Business and management study guides and said they were much more helpful than the huge textbook we use. As for the OSC revision guides, I bought the Maths Studies one and it was helpful, but to be honest, you're better off practising questions for subjects such as that.

• Like 1

to be honest: the osc biology guide is good for practising and filling out answers to questions (they have empty boxes everywhere asking you about the content of the syllabus), otherwise I think most of their stuff is confusing, especially diagrams. you are much better off with the Oxford IB Biology revision guide by Andrew Allott. If you have enough money though why not go for both. I use both and it is quite helpful to see how their content differs and gain additional knowledge on what to include. But if I had to chose only one I would go for the oxford one.

about the history guides: i have single party states, peacekeeping and international relations (p1) and europe and the middle east (p3). all books are worth getting. p1 is great to gain an understanging of all the inter-war events (in case you are doing this route). The single party state book ( i agree with post above) is somewhat confusing in structure but it is helpful nonetheless because it is very detailed in all the information. the paper 3 guide is great, even though lots of the stuff is condensed, it gives good summaries and easy to remember information plus the excellent essay outlines for many questions.

so overall:

for history- get them!

for bioloy- get the oxford guide!

• Like 1

For Biology I've been using the IB Prepared book from the IB website plus my own notes. The IB Prepared books can be quite useful as they show you past paper questions plus sample answers getting different levels of marks so you can see what a really good answer looks like. It's good if you're useless when it comes to exam technique (like me >.<)

Edited by Guest

Hi people!

Thanks

Gooooddaaay,

I've got myself an ESS SL one, and it has certainly helped me.

• 6 years later...