Question in SHM lab! please help!

Dimitris

i have a design lab to do and state what is the relation between length of spring and time period of a spring oscillation. however i tried to plot ln(time period) y and ln(length) x but i dont know what to do next. i dont know what the gradient that i will find will stand for.... Please help... maybe of you can tell what should the outcome of my calculations or something that would help me find an equation with time period and length of spring...

If the mass of the spring is negligible compared with that of the load that it supports, the period of the oscillation should be independent of the length of the spring! (It only depends on the mass of the load and the spring constant).

This contrasts with the case of a pendulum, for which the period of oscillation depends on the length but is independent of the mass.

i just got disappointed HAHA. yes this may be the case!!! seems legit. so i just use hookes law right????

If Hooke's law applies to the spring (i.e., it is not overstretched), the period of the oscillation with mass m and spring constant k should be T = 2pi * sqrt(m/k)

actuall with the dat i got time period and length what do you suggest me to do???

You could see whether the period is independent of the length, as predicted by the simple theory.

ok thank you very much for your help and i appreciate it!!!!!!!! :D but the problem is that i dont know the exact value of the spring constant... i have only the mass used, the data period and the length... as it seems it cant be worked out... thank you anyway!!!!!!!!!!!