ES and Biology

Agneisse

Someone once told me that ES and Biology cannot both be counted for the IB Diploma because there is significant syllabus overlap between the two courses. Is this true?

I ask because I'm looking for a 'filler' SL subject for my Diploma. I'm taking Bio, and I remember hearing about the ES/Bio thing before, and also because IBO had scheduled the two exams at the same time, which seems to suggest that most Bio students are expected to NOT be ES students. My IBC claims that there is no such rule, however he is very new and nobody in my school has ever done ES + Bio together. I certainly do not want to slug through 2 years and find out that I don't have enough subjects for the Diploma.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Agneisse' post='14742' date='Apr 9 2008, 01:03 PM']Someone once told me that ES and Biology cannot both be counted for the IB Diploma because there is significant syllabus overlap between the two courses. Is this true?

I ask because I'm looking for a 'filler' SL subject for my Diploma. I'm taking Bio, and I remember hearing about the ES/Bio thing before, and also because IBO had scheduled the two exams at the same time, which seems to suggest that most Bio students are expected to NOT be ES students. My IBC claims that there is no such rule, however he is very new and nobody in my school has ever done ES + Bio together. I certainly do not want to slug through 2 years and find out that I don't have enough subjects for the Diploma.[/quote]

Well, I'm not sure if this is a rule from the IBO or just from my school, but my school strictly enforces it. In fact, SL Biology and SL ES are VERY similar. At my school the only difference is that ES has less homework and less labs than Bio. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the IBO rule is that EVS and Biology can't be taken, you'll have to pick one. EVS overlaps topics in Biology and Geography and sometimes a little economics.
If I had a difficult choice in choosing between EVS/Bio then if i were you i would look at both of the syllabuses of the two subjects, and see which one you feel more comfortable with.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='deissi' post='16844' date='May 19 2008, 04:34 PM']which topics? :D [/quote]
Off the top of my head i can think of how sustainable farming is set back by the producers only wanting to achieve profit. Example being that gvt. intervention on agriculture; that is that the gvt gives subsidies to farmers in relation to # of livestock which gives them incentives on getting as much livestock as possible => overgrazing => damaging the habitat. In LR livestock gets sold unhealthy (not fat enough since less grazing/animal ) and farmer's income becomes dependent on gvt. subsidies rather than agricultural output.
So i think there's a tad bit of relations to Economics in there...