History paper 1&2 TZ1

anne.antoinette

I am in TZ1.

Personally I felt the exam was great! My paper 1 was on the Arab-Israeli conflict and I was really happy with the sources (the political cartoon was a bit tricky, but I knew it was Nixon and not Sadat like some of my classmates thought :P)

I really liked the questions on paper 2 also. My options were causes/practices/effects of war and single-party states. For the wars question I chose #6, which was something like "assess the importance of nationalism, alliances, and economic factors on causing either WW1 or WW2." I chose WW1 (it was my strongest war, although I could have easily chosen to do WW2). I said nationalism and alliances were really important whereas economic factors weren't, and I talked about all the nationalism (German nationalism, Britain, and nationalism in the Balkans), the alliance system, and then my economic paragraph was kind of essentially "it wasn't important." For the dictators I chose #16 which was "analyze the methods used by one single-party ruler to establish a totalitarian state." So I chose Hitler and talked about all the methods he used (terror, coming in through the government, and using events such as the Reichstag fire to get rid of other parties and establish a totalitarian state).

I'm hoping paper 3 goes well too :D

How did you guys do? Which questions did you answer?

So soft. Did peacekeeping for Paper 1. It was about the absence of major powers in the League of Nations. Couldn't have asked for a better one!

Paper 2 was pretty good as well. The questions were simple and straightfoward. I did question 4 (?) which was about foreign intervention in the Spanish Civil War. And of course, like everyone else in my school, I did question 16 with Stalin and his purges. Honestly, question 16 was a gift sent from heaven.

Hopefully paper 3 is easy too. But I highly doubt that :P

I nearly did the Spanish Civil War question (look at my EE title XD ) but it had been quite a while since I looked at the topic, and I felt that I could write a much stronger essay for WW1 than the Spanish Civil War.

A lot of people have said that this was a pretty easy exam. Do you think the grade boundaries will go up one or two points then?

It's probably cause last year's Paper 1 and 2 were extremely difficult. So yeah, can definitely see the boundaries going up a point or two, but not too worried, I think I wrote solid essays, especially my Stalin one.

But Paper 3 last year was pretty easy, so I'm almost positive it's going to be difficult this year.

Apparently you do the Americas. XD I study Europe for my regional topic. My best topics were Italian and German unification, the French Revolution and Napoleon, and the Russian revolutions. I could potentially get a World War 1 question which I'd like a lot, but it's not guaranteed.

For Paper One I was so frustrated. I did some last minute prep on the Arab-Israeli Conflict....all but ONE event. I was so sad when I saw that the entire test was on the October War of 1973. Luckily the entire thing was source-based, and I knew what Resolution 242 was for the necessary outside information for number 4. I learned a lot during Paper 1 LOL.

For Paper Two I answered the question from Topic One about foreign intervention in the Spanish Civil War and how it was the beginning of many ideology clashes with communism. I also spoke about how it was a platform for Nazi Germany and Communist Soviet Union to test their new weapons (tanks) and military tactics (carpet bombing).

My second question was answering the question from Topic Five about the sovietization of Eastern and Central Europe being a defensive measure. I agreed to a moderate extent because on one hand, it was a direct response to NATO, while on the other the Warsaw Pact was in essence an expansion of Soviet control and a direct challenge to western powers so it could've been a offensive measure.

I'm terrified of Paper 3...

I thought the paper went quite well.

My paper 1 topic was the Arab-Israeli Conflict, and it was great to see the 1973 War as the focus of the entire paper. I agree that the cartoon was a little tricky, but hopefully I got the two marks. The last question of the paper was pretty cool too, as I'm sure I recall spending a class period discussing how far the 1973 War satisfied Sadat's intended goes.

Paper 2 was great as well; I chose to do number 16 for single party states as well and I wrote about Hitler (whom I spent an intense two hours re-learning before the exam XD) and number 21, which was about Truman's and Stalin's roles in the origins and development of the Cold War. Not sure if my essays were super great, but I know the questions were! :)

As far as paper 3 goes ... I've got through Italian and German unification, Mussolini, and (thankfully I studied him for paper 2) Hitler, and it's time to review French and Russian Revolutions ... I'm hoping for a good Bismarck question, one on Cavour, and hopefully a nice one on Hitler.