What qualifies for the C of CAS?

Soppy

Creativity can be fun!

You could do baking, learning a new instument, setting up/maintaining (meaningful) websites like a non-profit site with notes and stuff, designing posters/shirts, organising fundraisers etc.

And its best to do it with another IB-er cos the IBO likes student interaction according to my school's CAS coordinator..

Hope this helps!

Depends on your IBC. Spaceisland's IBC lets him/her count rehearsal hours, mine only lets us count the hours spent in performance of the item. Ask your IBC for the 'official' response, because things differ widely from IBC to IBC.

Edited by Agneisse

I don't believe so.

Usually all CAS activities involve participating in groups..helping others in some way or form.

I wouldn't say that all CAS activities involve groups though it does give it more of a CAS-feel to it. I'd have to say that unless you're learning to drive in order to transport food to starving children or some other good deed, it won't be counted as CAS. My CAS Coordinator would not give us hours for something like driving especially for personal (non-CAS) gain.

Edited by blindpet

• 2 weeks later...

CAS is not supposed to be for yourself. Who are you benefitting by learning to drive? I htink only yourself, unless you have a specific purpose such as to drive poor people to voting booths. Just an idea.

In my school, people were wanting to know whether gym classes were CAS. Depending on how the students answered the CAS teacher his question "Why do you go to Gym" he allowed them or not to count the hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm... according to my CAS teacher,everything is CAS, he even accepted when you take music classes, language classes, gym classes, because somewhere I read says that if you learn a new skill or something like that, it is CAS... though... I dont know how to drive yet.....

lollll... yeah, driving is pushing it. I mean, by all means drive, but just remember that IB is a global program that really focuses on helping others (otherwise why would they make us to CAS and TOK to make us well-rounded people?)... and driving is not going to help others unless you volunteer. Just ask your CAS coordinator.

• 2 weeks later...

you could do languages, or you could organize events (if its some sort of charity event it counts for both service and creativity), i mean, theres a lot of stuff.... i would say, in an IB-style-question,

Choose either:

a) activities related to culture (i.e. un models, languages), or

b) activities related to personal skills (i.e. instruments, languages, design of websites), or

c) activities related to leading skills (i.e. organization of events)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think learning to drive could count toward CAS hours. The whole essence of CAS is personal development....through giving to others and to the community. Unless you're learning to drive in order to help transport other people to and from places, I don't think you could stretch it.

Learning to drive would probably not be considered as creativity, simply because it doesnt promote the idea of "Think Globally, Act Locally" (our school's CAS slogan :S ). That being said, you COULD use it to transport food and other goods to homeless people or use it to transport food to a food bank

• 2 weeks later...

Oh?

Well, Im about to forge a deal with our really kind arts/music teacher, that he will sign my CAS thingamidgy as long as I show the results (drawings) and the time it took for me to draw them (reasonable ofc). Because really, I dont want to go to art classes PLUS the time I spend on my own on drawing :D

I wonder if this trick works in all IB schools...