Bio EE: Stress and Memory

aboveblues

Hello!

Here is my current research question:

"What is the effect of acute stress on memory consolidation and memory retrieval?"

I plan to perform the Trier Social Stress Test on individuals either during consolidation or during retrieval. I will be recording physiological indicators of stress (salivary levels of cortisol and alpha-amylase, heart rate and skin conductance) and see if there is a relationship between these indicators and the subjects' performances on the test. I'm interested in this topic; it's the closest I can get to neuroscience (my intended university major) with my available resources.

My question is: is this EE "biological" enough? I want to make sure it isn't pushing the boundaries of a Psych EE. Any other tips? I'm writing the outline right now, so I thought I'd get some input.

Hello!

I don't really have any experience with EE since I haven't started mine yet ( :P) but I think the topic you've chosen is too much about psychology. I wanted to do mine about spaced learning which basically is that you look at for example a powerpoint on a subject you don't have any prior knowledge to and then you go do something else for like 5-10 minutes, to activate the other part of your brain, and then you would take a test and see how much you've learnt from it, but my supervisor said that it was too much psychology since it relates to human behaviour. I think that he also said that experiments on humans should be avoided because there are so many other factors that can contribute to the end result.

Otherwise, I think your topic is great, but ask your supervisor for advice as well!

Edited by larrut

Guest U Mirin' Braahhhh?

It's too psych, sorry... an EE on bio is more about testing the effect of an abiotic factor on an organism or limiting its development using something, lab experiment that is :/ unless you really know how to manipulate your data into pure Biology, which is kind of hard because you'll tend to explain the stress and stuff like that, apart from having various types of stress and causes for stress. That would be a huge limitation in your EE :L

Sorry man